AVCHD and Handbrake

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by beallio, Mar 25, 2009.

1. beallio macrumors newbie

I just purchased a Panasonic HDC-SD9 and I'm looking at the optional Panasonic VW-BN1 which is an external DVD burner that burns an AVCHD DVD of the HD video off the camera's SD card.

Here's my question: My father-in-law will be using the camera for a couple of extended trips this year but will not have a computer with him. I'm thinking the best way for him to dump files off my SD cards is to burn them in the VW-BN1 and then I want take the DVDs later and work on them in FCE. Is Handbrake my best option for ripping the HD video off the DVDs for later working in FCE? Is there any worry of image degradation?

2. -DH macrumors 65816

NO. Not if the DVD is formatted as a DVD-Video (that will play in DVD players). Handbrake is made for converting DVD-Video footage into other delivery formats - NOT for editing. Use MPEG Streamclip or DVDxDV to convert to an editable format that works natively in FCE.

FWIW, DVD-Video is a highly compressed standard definition format, so yes, there will be degradation of the image quality.

-DH

3. beallio thread starter macrumors newbie

So is there a better way to dump files/video off several 16GB SDHC cards without a laptop?

4. beallio thread starter macrumors newbie

That's awesome- I didn't know these existed, thank you very much!