AVCHD? Anyone know how?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thomamon, Nov 1, 2011.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

OK, so is it possible to make these type of CD's with a MacBook Pro?

Any tips or advice on software and such to use. I have a Hauppauge HD PVR that I used with Windows before converting to Mac full time. I'm kinda clueless on how to do this on a Mac and burn DVD's so I appreciate any help in advance.

Thanks!

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

you can still author hd video onto dvds with something like roxio toast. if you have an external BD drive, you can make Hd-bluray discs with toast. toast isn't cheap but it works better than the apple alternative which is currently non-existent as apple refuses to acknowledge bluray.

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You want to burn HD DVDs or SD? For, SD you should have everything on board already with iMovie and iDVD.
    Import your AVCHD files into iMovie, cut them and share them to iDVD.

4. shedworx macrumors newbie

AVCHD DVDs

What you are trying to do is create an AVCHD DVD. This is a regular DVD containing AVCHD movies.

Note that an AVCHD DVD uses a different filesystem format to a regular DVD, so once burnt you won't be able to load it onto a Mac. The DVD should play fine on any Blu-ray player and you will fit about 30 min of HD content on it.

You can create these DVDs using Toast (as mentioned above) and some other third-party apps. Apple's Compressor supports this creation also, but only from QuickTime HD movies, not native AVCHD footage.

Hope that helps.

5. AngryRedTicTac macrumors regular

What shedworx won't push themselves, I'll go ahead and do.... ;-)

I've used their RevolverHD to create a number of AVCHD DVDs, I picked up most of the shedworx stuff after using VoltaicHD to force my old Quad G5 to edit my new at the time Vixia's footage. Revolver is my quick editor when I don't want to push things through conversion. It's really fast, and pretty simple to use.

6. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I tried Toast, but it wouldn't burn/create the DVD... It kept saying Encoding and nothing happened, I even left it over night and it stood at 0%. I also tried editing out the commercials with toast and converting it for my Apple TV, wasn't happy with the picture. It seems as if there is soft ghosting on it now :(

I am going to look into shedworx, would be nice to have a simple program that does everything i need all in one like that and doesn't cost me any of the picture quality.

I do love the HD PVR Capture, the quality is so sharp until it is converted.