AVCHD Archiving?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macfilm, Nov 15, 2009.

1. macfilm macrumors regular

Hi I would like to back up my AVCHD hard drive camcorder to discs where Final Cut Pro can then recognise them as a camera so I can re-import the files back into Final Cut Pro.
    I know Toast 10 can do this but it simply WILL NOT work for me, I always just get a Mac OS error and thats that. I've contacted Roxio about it but they have no advice on the problem what so ever.

So are there any other programs which will do the dame thing? For Mac or Windows.

Cheers :)

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Use Disk Utility to create a disk image and use that to archive your footage. AVCHD requires a specific file structure, not just the video files alone. Then you can save these .dmg files to a hard drive. When/if you want to use them again, just mount them and log and transfer.

3. foshizzle macrumors regular

In the log/capture screen, toward the top/middle, choose the option to sort hierarchically (lines progressing down, not one on top of another). Scroll all the way to the top of the list, right click on the HDD from your camera, and choose to archive to disk image. Save somewhere. When you need it again, just open the disk image, it will mount on your machine, and you'll see it in the log/transfer. Been doing this with my SD based AVCHD camera. Does not take up as much space as storing the files raw HD at 1 gig/min. It does help that I have a 4TB linux NAS, however. Don't think i'll run out of space anytime soon.

4. nkawtg72 macrumors 6502

i assume i understand your request. you mention Final Cut Pro. here are the steps though in iMovie to archive the hard drive of a camcorder (taken straight out of iMovie's Help document)

Making a backup copy of the contents of your camcorder
    If you have a camcorder with a hard disk or a memory card, you can make a backup copy, or an archive, of the camera’s contents on your computer or on an external hard disk connected to your computer.
    Archiving the video on your camcorder can be useful if you want to:
    Quickly empty the contents of your camcorder so that you can record more video without having to wait for iMovie to process the video.
    Import the archived video on multiple computers without having to keep it on the camcorder.
    If your camcorder records HD video, keep a full-resolution copy of your video, and import the video into iMovie anytime you want without having to keep it on your camcorder.
    Archived video is stored on your hard disk and doesn’t appear in iMovie unless you import it.
    To archive your camcorder’s video:
    If you want to save the archive to an external hard disk, connect the external hard disk to your computer.
    Set the camcorder to PC Connect mode, and then connect it to your computer.
    The Import window opens.
    Click Archive All at the bottom of the Import window.
    In the Save As field, type a name for the archive.
    Choose where you want to save the archive, and then click Create.
    Don’t save the archive inside the iMovie Events or iMovie Projects folders. This could make iMovie operate more slowly.
    To import video from a camera archive into iMovie:
    Choose File > Import > Camera Archive.
    Select the archive folder, and then click Import.
    Follow the instructions for importing video from a camcorder:
    Importing video from a USB camcorder or camera