avchd camcorder video quality

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Luis Ortega, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I have read that avchd camcorders often suffer from a sort of visual stuttering when doing a pan or tilt, especially at their highest quality settings.
    Does anyone with these camcorders see this effect in filmed material?
    I am interested in getting a good consumer level camcorder that uses memory cards rather than tape, hard drives or dvds, and has manual exposure and audio level controls and hopefully 3 sensors rather than one.
    But if these camcorders are going to be problematic in achieving top quality video then it might be better to go for another type format.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. benjuddeffect macrumors newbie

There are still quite a bit of compatibility problems with Mac and AVCHD camcorders. I live in Japan and recently tested out both the new Xacti and Panasonic (both using AVCHD and memory cards) and neither of them worked with iMovie 09 or Final Cut Express 4.
    I do think this is more the fact that AVCHD is new and that with the 2009 line of camcorders, Apple just hasn't updated the software. Still though, it's just not ready yet.

3. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac User just had a preview of a Canon Legria HF S10 that seems to have some manual exposure and audio levels control, although it only has one cmos sensor, and it said in the article that it would work with iMovie and FCP fine on an intel based Mac