AVCHD DVD vs Blu Ray in quality

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MikeFightNight, Oct 12, 2009.

1. MikeFightNight macrumors newbie

So I just burned a AVCHD DVD with Toast 10 and was really suprised with the quality of the film on my Blu Ray player. The film which I edited in FCP is a little over 3gb when I burn a AVCHD DVD and if I were to burn a Blu Ray disc of the film it clocks in at around 9gb. So my question is with not having burned any of my own Blu Ray's is there a big difference between the two in quality? Or is Blu Ray really only good if you have so much HD footage that you can't fit it on a normal DVD using the AVCHD process?

2. tedobo macrumors newbie

Depends on a number of factors. The AVCHD Disc is smaller in size because it uses a smaller bit rate to fit the movie onto it, where as the Blu ray has the room to fit the whole movie in a better bit rate.

The quality will depend on your movie. If it contains fast action sequences and scenes with close ups then the blu ray will look better due to it having more bit rate and will have a stronger colour, which degrades a bit when put on avchd. Think of it like going from a DVD-9 to a 2GB DVD RIP, You can tell the difference but how noticeable it is, is up to you