AVCHD files to edit in imovies

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Zac10, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Zac10 macrumors newbie

hey guys this is my first post here, i tried searching the forum but couldnt find the answer i was looking for.
    okey i recorded a wedding using a sony hd cam in AVCHD format
    now that i am trying to edit in Imovies, this format will not work there.
    i have sony vegas pro in another pc and i can rander it in any format, i just want to know which format will be the best to render the video in Sony vegas so to retain the HD quality and i can then edit it in I-movies.

thanks alot for all the replies i will be getting.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Clipwrap seems to be the one I've seen most recommended for Macs. It has the option to convert to the Apple Intermediate Codec format, which is what iMovie uses.
    http://www.divergentmedia.com/clipwrap

3. Zac10 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i cannot use sony vegas pro for conversion?

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I didn't say that. Does Sony Vegas Pro work on a Mac? If it's only on a PC, then you might want to use something that works on your Mac for ease of use.

5. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

You can't edit AVCHD directly in iMovie. It has to be imported as an event, which creates a Pro Res Mov copy that you can edit with iMovie.

6. simsaladimbamba

iMovie uses the Apple Intermediate Codec, not the ProRes codec (which is reserved for Final Cut Pro).

@ OP: The application is called "iMovie", maybe use that as search term instead of "imovies", which should bring dozens of threads to light on how to use AVCHD footage inside iMovie.

Normally you import the footage directly from the camera or copy the entire contents of the flash card of your camcorder to your Mac or an external HDD, to preserve the folder structure.
    If all you have left now are .mts files, look here for a FREE way to transcode the .mts files to a format iMovie does understand.

7. kev6677 macrumors member

Apples dirty little secret.

Apple does not like AVCHD..they refuse to support it natively instead they want you to use their own codecs, Problem is their codecs produce inferior less than DVD quality video conversions. Save yorself time, Money and headaches keep using windows for AVCHD. .......Oh before i go the fans are gonna come and tell you how terrible AVCHD is and it was not good for anything and they don't know why all the major camcorder manufaturers are still using it NONSENSE.......

P.S: the fanaticism and outright denial here is sometimes unreal......

8. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

You're correct, iMovie comes with AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) as the defaul, not ProRes422.

9. 3dadd macrumors newbie

Premiere Pro CS6 for AVCHD

Why not just use Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, 5.5, or 6.0 to edit your AVCHD footage. Works pretty amazing. You can you even edit/review your footage directly off the SD card if needed. great for when you are onsight and have your laptop and want to double check your footage on larger screen. You can download the full working CS6 trial version from their website and install it. You need to use your AdobeID or create one to unlock the codecs. Many users claim you can't edit AVCHD with the trial version but the fact is that you need to use your AdobeID to unlock them. The trial works for 30 days -

just an idea. - I use it everyday with AVCHD files.

Lots of tutorials on tv.adobe.com if you need "how to videos"

hope it helps...

10. simsaladimbamba

Listen to this guy, knowing that MPEG-2 is a superior codec than AIC and ProRes.

PS: Have you actually done any work with AVCHD, AIC, ProRes or MPEG-2? If so, what is your method, to get such inferior products?

I mean, you are present in almost every AVCHD thread, almost trolling them with your statements, but never with any facts. If you can provide any facts, please do so.

PPS: FCP X can work with AVCHD footage natively, albeit more CPU intensive. FCP 7 and earlier could not edit any footage not using ProRes or AIC natively. iMovie also needs an editing codec format.
    But then again, there is Windows for AVCHD footage, the stupidest format around to record footage in. Hell, when I have to use an MPEG-4 camcorder, I look for external recorders that record in ProRes or DNxHD to make sure almost all information from the sensor gets stored and not only the visible one, like with MPEG-4 compression. But then again, you probably have never used properly recorded footage and colour corrected it to see the advantage.

PPPS: I am dying to see ONE reply from you.

11. serega macrumors regular

I've got Adobe premier elements and it works fine. And my videos from Sony camcorder too. No problems with AVCHD's

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

No kev those in denial just realize you're spoutin nonsense. The reasons for NOT editing in AVCHD have everything to do with editing efficiency and not some sort of hatred for AVCHD.

13. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

With Mountain Lion they seemed to added more support. FCP X & Quicktime recognize and play AVCHD files natively. Prior to Mountain Lion it did have support for AVCHD although limited from what I've heard.

14. kev6677 macrumors member

Lol looks like we are making some progress.... I wonder where are the apple zombie fans now .. they went back to there cavens to worship (rediculous)..... GET REAL PEOPLE .....DEMAND NATIVE AVCHD SUPPORT NOW ....stop the lies and BS about it not being playable or editable....

15. Keebler macrumors 68030

I don't get your posts at all - I can access AVCHD files perfectly from within FCX and the new mountain lion has direct access through Quicktime.

I import right into FCX, edit then output to blu ray or AppleTV/iPad files easy peasy.

So unless I missed your point, you're entirely out to lunch?

16. kev6677 macrumors member

@keebler my post was not directed at you the zombie fans know who they are, they have challenged me for years on this board even trying to get my post deleted & banned instead of demanding apple support AVCHD. Telling lies about codecs and other NONSEENSE. With the advent of mountain lion hopefully camcorder owners can get some relief working with AVCHD without having to spend hundreds more in new software something which a standard $300 windows computer can do......

17. simsaladimbamba

Which ****ing nonsense? You do know the meaning of the word "nonsense", don't you? Just because it does not make any sense FOR YOU, does not mean, it does not make sense for others.
    Anyway, you could edit footage from an AVCHD camcorder for many years on a Mac, but as that meant transcoding footage and leaving the structure intact, many people where baffled, especially ones, who didn't know. But then again, there are no resources available anywhere on the world wild wet to even guide such ignorant people through the proper steps.

And are you really that daft? Do you have any background in editing? Why do you even use Mac OS X when Windows can edit your .mts files directly? Is Windows Movie Maker not a good application for you? It really has astonishing text effects, especially the ones with the blue background. Ah, I miss those cell wipes and star wipes and , what the ****?

But then again, this will be a never ending circle I suppose. You post some trite, I answer even more trite.

Should it stop? Can it stop? Can it?

18. kev6677 macrumors member

Sop the lies.....

@ simsaladzimbamba you are missing the point Instead of challenging me you need to focus your attention on demanding apple support AVCHD. Stop the lies about it not being editable or you need a super computer to edit .I edited AVCHD fine on a pentium 4 with 1 gb of RAM about 5 years ago yes it took a little longer but it worked perfectlly. The Intel processors in MAC today are maybe 10 times faster so it is not the hardware and neither the software cause there are expert programmers working at Apple.....STOP THE LIES NOW...... Demand native AVCHD in it's full input / output resolution not the striped down crap imovie produces that is of less quality than a DVD, why will anyone buy a HD camcorder only to have the photage striped of it's resolution in Imovie how rediculous!!!!!

19. simsaladimbamba

Thanks for responding.

I know, that current Macs and even past Macs are able to edit AVCHD natively, just not in iMovie, FCP and FCE. FCP X is the first Apple application to allow that.

Avid Media Composer and Premiere Pro can edit AVCHD files natively, and while the CPUs are capable of doing so, one still experiences lags.

I simply speak from an editing viewpoint, having edited for several broadcast shows and using editing in a "professional environment" (making my money with it), thus my experience is, that AVCHD is a ****** format to begin with.
    Most editing professionals prefer their footage in an editing compatible format, nowadays using the DV, DNxHD, ProRes or similar codecs. AVCHD is too compressed, it does not store every frame, only keyframes and the change between those keyframes, thus frame precise editing is cumbersome and introduces lags, therefore editing codecs are there to help. AVCHD footage also does not store that much information to make good colour corrections with it (it can be done, but one is limited).

For a consumer, AVCHD footage is probably ideal, it does not take up that much storage space as using an editing codec and it still looks good to the untrained eye.
    To avoid lag during editing, Apple probably just wanted to be on the save side. Or not. Maybe they were too lazy. And those are not lies. And those are not facts.
    Maybe ask Apple directly or one of its programmers, or find an article or two about the absence of AVHCD native editing in iMovie, FCE and FCP 7 and earlier.

What you do, is just repeating the same argument over and over, with no valid proof. You sound like a conspiracy advocate, but still in training, since your arguments are still flawed and have no substance and repeat themselves.
    Though I repeat myself in your replies too. Maybe we are at war? The big Shadow vs Light battle is upon us. I want to be a shadow, they have the cooler ships and can go into Hyperspace immediately. Those other ones still need jumpgates.

20. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi honestly didn't take it personally - I was very curious to what exactly you were meaning as I've been editing just fine with FCX (never had the opportunity to edit with it in FCP 7). :)