AVCHD Footage looks Digitally

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Audivid, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Audivid macrumors newbie

I shot a session with a Sony HDR-SR8, imported the footage into Final CUT and after exporting, my video looks very digital especially with pans and movements. It doesnt look like that in my timeline and although I know that I cant get the exact same picture, I was wondering if there are settings that i need to follow to get as close to the timeline picture as possible? Cause right now, my picture is very

2. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Take that joint out of your mouth, wait a couple of hours, and post again. :confused:

3. Audivid thread starter macrumors newbie

Yo, I was half sleep when i posted last night. But this is the situation; My movie has that digitally look (understand), you know, its only clear when the objects are still and when someone moves, its get blurry and digitally looking. I know that you must have some type of specific settings for capture and your timeline and that may be where I am going wrong. Any suggestions?? Sony HDR-SR8/ Final Cut 7
    Format of clips:
    Compressor: Apple ProRes 422
    Frame Size: 1440 x 1080
    Vid Rate: 29.97
    Pixel Aspect: HD(1440 x 1080)
    Field Dominance: Upper (Odd)

4. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I don't know the specs of that camera, but it could be a rolling shutter problem.

5. Audivid thread starter macrumors newbie

are the specs...

\Sony Handycam HDR-SR8 100GB Hard Drive Camcorder (10x Opt, 20x Dig, 2.7" LCD)
    Description:
    Life's fast-paced but you don't have to miss any of it with Sony's HDR-SR8 HDD Handycam camcorder. Capture your memories in Full HD and relive them years from now in exceptional detail, color and sound. Boosting an impressive 100GB built-in Hard Disk Drive, the HDR-SR8 lets you record up to 38 hours of high definition digital video while its professional grade Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar Lens ensures stunning image quality with 10x optical/20x digital zoom, bringing the action closer to you. Capture both video and still digital imagery at the same time without switching modes with its Dual Record Mode function and eliminate blurring from unsteady hands with the Super SteadyShot optical image stabilization system. Expressing a fuller color range than conventional models, HDR-SR8 makes watching home videos more life-like and colorful. With the HDR-SR8 Handycam camcorder in hand, your precious moments stay suspended in full HD for years to come.

Product Specification:
    Camera Flash
    Effective Flash Range 1 ft - 8 ft
    Flash Modes Fill-in mode, auto mode, flash OFF mode, red-eye reduction
    Camera Flash Built-in flash
    Features Flash +/- compensation
    Main Features
    Remote Control Remote control - infrared
    Still Image Format JPEG
    Digital Video Format MPEG-2, AVCHD
    White Balance Presets Indoor, outdoor
    White Balance Custom, automatic, presets
    Exposure Modes Program, automatic
    Exposure Metering Spot
    Min Shutter Speed 1/2 sec
    Max Shutter Speed 1/960 sec
    Image Stabilizer Optical (Super Steady Shot)
    Digital Scene Transition White fader, black fader
    Special Effects Sepia, Pastel, Monotone, Old Movie
    Shooting Programs Spotlight, landscape, portrait mode, twilight portrait, fireworks, twilight mode, sunset, candle, beach, snow, sunrise
    Shooting Modes Digital photo mode
    Digital Zoom 20 x
    Min Illumination 0 lux
    Optical Sensor Size 1/2.9"
    Optical Sensor Type ClearVid CMOS
    Color Support Color
    Media Type Hard disk drive
    Camcorder Effective Video Resolution 2.3 Mpix
    Camcorder Sensor Resolution 3.2 Mpix
    Camcorder Effective Still Resolution 3.0 Mpix
    Camcorder Interpolated Still Resolution 6.1 Mpix
    Widescreen Video Capture Yes
    Battery
    Supported Battery Details 1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery ( included )
    Supported Battery Sony NP-FH60
    Microphone
    Microphone Operation Mode Surround
    Microphone Technology Electret condenser
    Type Microphone - built-in
    Microphone Features Wind noise reduction
    Software
    Software Drivers & Utilities, Sony Picture Motion Browser
    Miscellaneous
    Cables Included Component video cable ¦ A/V cable ¦ USB cable
    Included Accessories Docking station
    General
    Weight 1.2 lbs
    Height 3.2 in
    Depth 5.7 in
    Width 3 in
    Product Type Camcorder - 1080i
    Lens System
    Lens Manufacturer Carl Zeiss
    Filter Size 37 mm
    Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
    Optical Zoom 10 x
    Lens Aperture F/1.8-2.9
    Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
    Focus Adjustment Automatic, manual
    Focal Length 5.4 mm - 54 mm
    Type Zoom lens - 5.4 mm - 54 mm - f/1.8-2.9
    Features Built-in lens shield
    Additional Features
    Additional Features USB 2.0 compatibility, touch-screen control, built-in speaker, demonstration mode, backlight compensation, digital noise reduction, display brightness control, progressive shutter system, PictBridge support, accessories hot shoe, in-camera movie editing, takes photos while movie recording
    Time Code Yes
    Digital Still Camera Function Yes
    Low Lux / Night Mode Yes
    Self Timer Yes
    Display
    Display Format 211,200 pixels
    Display Form Factor Rotating (270°)
    Type LCD display - TFT active matrix - 2.7" - color
    Memory / Storage
    Image Storage JPEG 2848 x 2136 ¦ JPEG 2848 x 1602 ¦ JPEG 2136 x 1602 ¦ JPEG 2048 x 1536 ¦ JPEG 640 x 480
    Supported Flash Memory Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo
    Hard Drive Hard disk drive - built-in - 100 GB
    System Requirements for PC Connection
    Peripheral Devices USB port, CD-ROM drive
    Operating System Support MS Windows 2000 SP4 or later, MS Windows Vista, MS Windows XP SP2
    System Requirements Details Windows 2000 Pro/XP - Pentium III - 1 GHz - 512 MB - 800 MB ¦ Windows Vista - Pentium III - 1 GHz - 1 GB - 800 MB
    Power
    Power Device Power adapter - external
    Viewfinder
    Viewfinder Resolution 123,200 pixels
    Viewfinder Diagonal Size 0.27"
    Viewfinder Color Support Color
    Viewfinder Type LCD
    Features Zebra pattern, viewfinder brightness control
    Connections
    Expansion Slot(s) 1 x Memory Stick PRO Duo
    Connector Type Component video output ¦ Composite video/audio output ¦ S-Video output ¦ Microphone ¦ Headphones ¦ Remote control ¦ USB ( mini-USB Type B ) ¦ HDMI output ¦ DC power input

6. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Haha, that explains it, since you cut off typing after "my picture is very..."

Do you think you can post a quick clip on youtube or something, or provide us with a video clip that is similar to the problem you are having? Like the other poster said, sounds like a rolling shutter or interlacing problem.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

What you are describing are compression artifacts. First watch the raw footage on a large screen, that same screen that you watched the final rendered product and noticed the problem. Don't just the video in a small window. Compare "apples to apples"

If the problem is in the raw footage then that is your problem.

But if not in the raw footage then you have some how run the data through a compression bottleneck and we'd have to know your exact workflow. Every step of it. to maybe find when it was getting squashed. But that is the problem: compression.

In general AVCHD just does this. So you have to expect some compression artifacts because AVCHD is highly compressed video but yo say you are seeing more than this?

One thing your working files how big are they? They should be huge compared to the AVCHD from the camera

8. Audivid thread starter macrumors newbie

When I play the footage from the camera to the tv, it does look very jittery so maybe, well not maybe, it is the camera (it has that same digitally look but not as bad). Is there certain settings that I should be on because I could have bought a regular digital camera if this was the best picture that Im gonna get

9. Audivid thread starter macrumors newbie

When I play the footage from the camera to the tv, it does look very jittery so maybe, well not maybe, it is the camera (it has that same digitally look but not as bad). Is there certain settings that I should be on because I could have bought a regular digital camera if this was the best picture that Im gonna get. And the files are super big. After I export to QT it is around 140GB and that a 90 minutes movie