AVCHD + G5 Quad + Voltaic = Eternity?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mcdj, Nov 26, 2007.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

Jul 10, 2007
    Just got a Sony SR7 HDD camcorder, which shoots in AVCHD. Since I'm on a PPC, iMovie '08 will not import the movies. So I bought Voltaic.

I imported my very first test video using Voltaic...a whopping 1 min HD extravaganza. The import worked ok, but it took 20 min (!). (I copied the mts file from the cam to my fastest internal drive, and used a dedicated scratch disk for the conversion, so I know the slowdown is not at the camera interface)

At this rate, a 30min vid would take 10 hours to convert. If I can't get the conversion time down, I need to rethink my Sony purchase.

Again, I have a G5 Quad 2.5ghz, with 6GB RAM, and 10.4.11.

Any tips on getting a better conversion time would be much appreciated. Better yet, a workaround to get iMovie to see the files directly would be even better.
  2. bimmzy macrumors regular

Dec 29, 2006
    I'm interested to knowing whether FCP and AVCHD cameras, have the same problem on G5 systems!?
  3. 0ctane macrumors newbie

Dec 21, 2007
    From what I understand, FCP and iMovie08 only work with AVCHD content on Intel-based Macs.

Yes, Voltaic can take a while to convert films, but it works with PPC and Intel Macs, plus you can offload all your films from your camera for conversion later.