AVCHD import @ 720p

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tabasco70, Jun 3, 2010.

1. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I am trying to come up with a good procedure to get footage from my camera onto my computer.

I have a Canon Vixia HF21, which shoots at two settings: 1920x1080 or 1440x1080.
    Videos are in AVCHD format.

Basically, I want to import these videos and edit them as 720p quality videos (1280x720).
    I use Final Cut, so I'm guessing you guys will recommend using Log and Transfer... however Final Cut ingests videos at original dimensions, so will I have to export it first as 720p before editing?

Thanks for all the help,

2. johndoe101 macrumors newbie

hey,

Your workflow sounds like the only solution i can think of if only using Final Cut.

If you have Roxio Toast you could convert it straight from the AVCDH format to 720p before using it in Final Cut.

This might save some time over using Log and Transfer then exporting in Final Cut.

x

3. tabasco70 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the response -

Roxio Toast.. would that be Roxio Toast 10 Titanium?
    Can previous versions (8 or 9) do it, or no?

4. G.T. macrumors 6502a

My GF1 shoots AVCHD what I do is just import the .MTS file, then run it through Handbrake with no compression to .mp4 (or what ever you want). Handbrake will allow you to change size though too. So you can export at 720. Basically you will have to export it one way but Handbrake is free.

5. SeaOtter macrumors newbie

I'm really curious about your Handbrake option. I have that software on my Mac, but nothing I've ever read alluded to it being an option for converting .MTS files.

Are you using Handbrake to import directly from your camera (mine is a Canon Vixia HF10 by the way)? Or are you using some other means to get the files to your camera and then use Handbrake?

Which OS X version and which Handbrake version are you using?

thanks.

6. G.T. macrumors 6502a

Well I'd say it is most versions of Handbrake, but basically I use 0.9.4 and have latest Snow Leopard and VLC 1.0.5 as Handbrake uses VLC, I did try 64bit but it was horribly slow as its still not stable release. Anyway...

Basically I plug my camera in and locate the .MTS files and drop them to desktop. I don't have Final Cut and I have Premier Pro but its so hard to make sense of interface I could learn it but really don't edit video much more photos. So it is easier for me to edit in something like .MP4 as I could just use iMove HD (I like it :p). If I don't need to edit I just upload the .MTS files to YouTube unless its just for me then I'll convert as I can then play in Quicktime. So load up Handbrake and click source to locate the .MTS file then just tell it the output format, resolution, compression etc. and your done. Then you can do what you want with the file. :)

I only did this the other day as I needed to edit the video I took and I don't like the .MP4 option on my camera even though I could edit straight away, I've just never really needed to edit until now and remember someone saying it was possible and its so easy.

7. johndoe101 macrumors newbie

Toast 9 & 10

I know it's possible with Toast 9 & 10.
    I haven't had any version prior to 9 unfortunately.

8. Donald V macrumors newbie

I edit video from my canon hf10 In FCP. I just ingest at 1920x1280 in the prores codec at either 24p or 30p depending on what I shot it in. Then after editing I use compressor to compress my videos to 720p for playback. I also can compress to web resolutions if needed from there as well.

Donald :)

9. tabasco70 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the help!
    I think I've got it mostly figured out. I might also try the Handbrake method as well.