AVCHD may drive you MAD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mister Three, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Mister Three macrumors newbie

Mister Three

Hi,
    does anybody know why final cut pro 6.5 won't ingest avchd from a card, a hard drive or the camera (panasonic sd5)?
    It will see and play all the files and appears to ingest them when asked to but at the end a little red exclamation mark appears next to the ingested clip. And the clip is not made.
    This has happened to me for ever.
    imovie does the same. It sees the clips, plays them nicely but after ingest brings a warning that the file is damaged.
    I have voltaic, which is nice, it works, it takes so long it makes me cry but we get there in the end.
    Please can anybody help? I've re-installed everything - everything. I haven't got Perian which may cause problems. I have a mac pro 8 core intel so it should work. It should work but it won't.

mister t.

2. raxafarian macrumors regular

3. Chris7 macrumors 6502

I have FCP and an HF100 and it's always worked and I don't know why. I almost always work off files that are already saved to the hard drive (whereas you're going directly from the camera). I don't know if this will help, but one thing I can think of is that I once tried importing into FCP (log and transfer) a single clip rather than the whole folder and it didn't work. I have never been able to import only one clip (but can transcode part of any clip into ProRes just fine). I first save the folder of clips to the hard drive with its accompanying structure (it's a folder within a folder within a folder on the Canon, and I make sure to save it all to the hard drive first). I have read that people get into trouble because they don't save the whole file structure.

I've got Voltaic, too, because I didn't expect AVCHD to work well with FCP, after all I had read. So having Voldac installed appears not to negatively affect the process.

Best of luck,
    Chris

4. Mister Three thread starter macrumors newbie

Mister Three

nope

didn't work. Already tried it but tried it again.

Many thanks for the reply...

T

5. Mister Three thread starter macrumors newbie

Mister Three

Thanks Chris,

already tried that too, plugged into the camera direct so no interference, exactly the same results...

T

6. Mister Three thread starter macrumors newbie

Mister Three

I resolved the problem...

The problem was the 'other' plugins in the library/quicktime folder. Now all the avchd files are ingested by fcp. The world is a better place.

Thanks for your help guys...

T