Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skeasley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2013
London
I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, however I don't seem to be able to find an answer.

I would like to be able to view AVCHD files on my IPad and IPhone. Specific files of interest are recorded on Sony NEX-FS700 (.MTS) and GoPro cameras (.MP4), although I'm sure other sources will pop up.

Everything I've managed to find on this subject so far points to converting them to an alternative format that IOS is happy with, however this would not work for me. I work as a cameraman, my aim is to be able to do quick previews on the IPad, possibly Iphone, to show clients whilst out in the field... converting to an alternative format is just way to cumbersome and time consuming.

Thanks in advance

Stuart

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
What happens if you use something like AVPlayer or GoodPlayer?
You are probably gonna say "not what I'm looking for, since I need it for in-the-field", right?

Ok so in that case, I only can think of two options (neither will work with the iPhone, but I'm guessing you would need the iPAd as a sort of time machine field monitoring device, so the iPhone would be too small anyway):

For MP4s, you could use the CCK, but that will only work on the iPad and IIRC, you need to first "import" the footage, then you can watch it. And I'm not sure you can import AVCHD this way; likely the answer is not.

If you jailbreak you can get into the SD card location via iFile (again, using CCK), and then you could use the aforementioned GoodPlayer or AVPlayer to open directly the files without copying them into the internal flash drive; both are registered handlers for MP4 and MTS (I made a quick test before replying to this topic).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.