AVCHD Panasonic cam

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by EssentialParado, Aug 7, 2007.

1. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

If you watch the new Apple media event Steve Jobs plugs the Panasonic HDC-SD1 video cam and said it's fully supported by the new iMovie. I did some research and it looks like an excellent cam at an excellent price (with a newer version coming out next month)

I was just curious, when Steve Jobs said iMovie supports it, how do you get the footage from the cam or the SD card? There is no Firewire connection. Does it require special software, or will you connect the cam to the Mac via USB 2.0 and the SD card will appear like a mounted drive which you can drag the footage straight off and into iMovie?

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Yes that's right.

Right off the 8GB SD Cards which look like HDs when plugged into the card reader OR Via the USB 2 connection to the camera.

Panasonic unveils HDC-SD5 and SX5

Great find EssentialParado! These new models hit the streets in September and they look great. 3 CCDs for under $1K is what I've been looking for for a while. Hope it has manual audio gain as well as a LANC port. Max data rate is only 13Mbps/CBR compared to 25Mbps/CBR with HDV but the avoidance of tape and 3CCDs may make that a moot point.

Attached Files:

3. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Exactly. Watch the iLife 08 tutorial thing and it shows you that it connects via USB 2.0 and it transfers with that. I guess this is a first, b/c just like a camera, you can preview the clips before hand and even fast forward them and stuff... pretty cool. but yes, usb 2.0

4. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow. I just watched the tutorial vid for importing footage, it's so simple for an SD camera. Being flash it should transfer at lightspeed as well. I'm hugely impressed.

I agree with you Multimedia, this looks like an amazing camera, and 3CCDs and HD for under a grand makes it a must-buy for me. I wonder how much Panasonic paid Steve to make that little plug. ;)

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Link To Tutorial Please?

Link please?

6. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

7. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

EUR 129 For The 8GB SD Cards = $178 Today

According to the 8GB SD Card page on Simply DV they're going to cost EUR129 or almost $178 according to today's exchange rate. Panasonic will probably throw in no more than a 1GB card for starters. I would have to buy several 8GB cards as when I shoot, I shoot a lot.

Thanks for the link.

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I like the fact it is using flash hard drives but I wish they would have used a 60 or 80 GB hard drive until flash is more affordable. Or perhaps work with either type of drive as removable media. Still, it looks like a great product.

9. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

I think the current models come with a 4 GB which is nice, but 8GB would be much better. I stopped using my MiniDV camcorder a long time ago because of the hassle with tapes and the horrible motor noise.
    I'm now excited about this new cameras, the format and iMovie's support. It looks like it works awesome, can't wait to get me one of these.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Something to keep in mind is a figuring out an easy and reliable way to backup all of your footage since you no longer will have master tapes to go back too. It would suck quite a bit to have a HDD go down and take the only copies of your videos with it.

Lethal

11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Just drop them on a DVD? Assuming you're using a 4gb SD card like people here are talking about, you can just dump the entire contents of a full card to a 20 cent DVD in its original format... seems like it would be cheaper than keeping the DV tape around?

If you're using an 8gb card you could us DL DVD (more expensive than DVD-R but cheaper than tape still I think) or split it onto two regular DVD-Rs...

Dunno, is there something wrong with that or am I missing something important? I JUST started reading about this ACVHD business today, so maybe I'm way off.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yes, you can dump the 4gig ones onto DVDs and 8gig onto DL-DVDs if you have a DL burner. I should have said "instituting" instead of "figuring out" a workflow to back up all of your videos. Going tapeless means you have an extra step in there to make the backups and users just need to remember to do that and not procrastinate until it's too late. :(

Lethal

13. 66217 Guest

14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ah I understand. I thought I was missing something important. :)

15. Hopstretch macrumors regular

Hopstretch

16. scu macrumors regular

I bought the Canon HV20. I shot 40 minutes of video and it took up 19 Gigs in iMovie.

I am not sure how an 8Gig SD card will do the job unless it compresses the video as it records it.

17. bloodycape macrumors 65816

I have seen 16gig sd cards going for like $120 I think that maybe a good choice if it works with these cameras.

18. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Your numbers don't sound right. The HV20 is an HDV camcorder, right? If so, it records at 25 Mbps ... so 40 minutes of video should clock in at about 7.3 GB. Do you have a bunch of stuff in the trash, or maybe some a bunch of titles and transitions?

Anyways, the new Panny records at a max 13 Mbps, so you'll get about 80 minutes on an 8GB SDHC card.

BTW, all of these digital camcorders compress the video. It's just a matter of how "gentle" the compression is.

ft

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

HD coming into iMovie gets transcoded into the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) which is a much higher bit rate codec than HDV or AVCHD.

Lethal

20. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Not YET. Need FCE 4 - gotta be soon. Take that back. Apple should be able to do a very modest update to the existing FCE 3.5 to make it AVCHD compatible IF the code in 3.5 is close enough to the code in FCP6. Don't know if it is. If not, need a full blown new version similar to FCP6 Light.

21. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OK, good to know.

I have a question now. With iMovie'08, does the video library keep the HD footage in it's original format, or does it convert it to AIC? Maybe they can have an option where the footage is kept in HDV or AVCHD, and it only converts it to AIC after it's placed in the timeline (or whatever it's called now).

I can see HDD space filling up quickly over time.

ft

22. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

All MPEG2 Video Must Be Converted To AIC to Work in Editing

Nope. 750GB HDs are $200 and 1 TB HDs are now $259 so space is not a problem any more. Alll must be converted to AIC because the native MPEG2 streams are uneditable in their native condition.

23. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

1TB drives for $259? Where?

24. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Any advantages over using a Flash-based camera as opposed to a HDD-based one. Sony have many HDD-based cameras as well as a Flash-based one.

If choosing a Flash-based model, would it be the Sony or the new Panny.

:confused:

25. Donnacha macrumors regular

Weight, size, durability, energy consumption?

Plus, with 16GB cards (4hrs footage at the highest quality) coming before year end, is there any need for a 60GB HDD? I mean, seriously, are you really going to wait to dump 60GB of footage onto your Macbook Pro all in one go? A 16GB card, or even a few of them if necessary, makes more sense.