AVCHD Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Boulderer2001, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Boulderer2001 macrumors member

I read a few other forums on the topic but still have a few questions. I am getting into making climbing movies. I am about to invest in a new camcorder. If I go the AVCHD route, will it work in imovie or will I have to convert it inot some other file. If I am posting videos on my .mac page, youtube, etc.. will the file size be much larger of the actual videos because of the quality? Any other advice would be great. And since I have your attention is there any effects for imovie '08 I cant seem to find any.

Thanks

2. McBob macrumors member

I've been looking at getting a new camcorder myslef over the last couple weeks and love the look of this avchd technology. Especially as imovie now supports it (come on final cut!) As you asked yes imovie will directly import the footage and do all the encoding for you automatically. If you wanted to export to youtube or .mac you can use the built in export options and imovie will compress the footage to an appropriate size, much smaller than the source footage. I personally have decided against getting an avchd cam at this time as i still feel the codec suffers at this early stage compared to tape based models.

Robx

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I really couldn't recommend getting an AVCHD camcorder at this time. I would highly recommend getting a miniDV based camcorder.

Yes, AVCHD camcorders have some impressive benefits but they also have some rather large downsides. Just do a search on these forums for all the problems that people have been having with them.