AVCHD Sony DVD Handycam

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sesshi, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I presume there's no way to feed footage directly into a Mac from these machines but via direct video input, and thanks to the lame-o slot drive I also presume it's not even possible to actually load the DVD into the machine as well.

Just wanted to check if anyone had any bright ideas about editing it. My parent bought the UX7. The computer is a Macbook.

The shopping rationale according to said parent was: "Shoots straight onto DVD, I like it. Can I have the most expensive one please". On being asked how to load it up to the Mac, I professed lack of personal knowledge only to have "it was very expensive" repeated over and over again. I know what will happen if I say it's not possible - it'll be my fault and to prevent the mention of it forever I will have to buy parent something that works. So any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

2. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Copy the files on a computer with a cd-rom tray, then put them on an external hard drive (or another dvd) and put the files on your macbook.

This is, of course, if you can't just connect the camera to the macbook and read the files right off of the disc that way (which you should be able to do.).

3. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I tried connecting one of my student's Sony DVD camera up to iMovie 6 but we couldn't get it to work. Apparently the new iMovie works with DVD cameras though. You connect it using the USB cable.

4. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

I had some mts files just sitting on another drive and imovie found them on its own. Very pleasantly surprised.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

6. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

7. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Thanks. Guess I'll have to pick up one of the supported cameras and put the Sony up on ebay.