AVCHD users....... Elgato Turbo.264 HD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by NRose8989, Mar 21, 2009.

1. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Just came across this. Seem like Elgato has upgraded their Turbo H.264 encoder to support AVCHD input and HD output.

The site says that you can work with the file a both iMovie and Final Cut.

I'm curious as to what format it actually outputs to though (ya ya i know it exports H.264 but I'm wondering what would you have to set you sequence settings to in Final Cut Pro). What do you think? AIC 1920x1080i60?

Anyone take the plunge yet and try it out? or at least came across a review of it?

EDIT: So a quick look into the user manual available at the Elgato site states that when you install the Turbo.264, it installs a quick time component that allows other applications to access it. Now the manual only has instructions on using the device with iMovie 09' and Quicktime (Pro). But I wonder because Quicktime can use it, and Final Cut taps into Quicktime. I wonder if Final Cut is able to fully utilize the device.

2. TuckBodi macrumors 6502

I have no experience with their new HD product but I do have to jump in and say how disappointed I was with their original Turbo.264 product. And since most of their issues were software based, I have my doubts this new product would be any better. If you jump up on their forums you'll see I'm not the only one too. Issues with macro-blocking, blurriness, sound syncing, AppleTV exporting, etc. and etc. They either ignore their problems, try to tell you it's in-spec, or say it's the limits of the hardware (funny tho' as other s/w using the t.264 wouldn't have the same issue). Biggest waste of money I've ever spent and am now avoiding any Elgato products like the plague. My 2¢ and be warned.

http://forums.elgato.com/viewforum.php?f=85

3. MikeEvangelist macrumors newbie

MikeEvangelist

Yes. You can use the Turbo from within FCP by using the 'Using QuickTime Conversion...' option in the Export menu. This will give to full access to the Turbo's presets and custom settings.

4. NRose8989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So after some research and a e-mail from Elgato, It seem like the turbo.264 HD was still not quite what I really wanted it for.

So ya it helps when exporting but it would be so sweet if it helped when you have to log and transfer.