AVCHD vid cam, transfer from imovie08 to imovie HD to iDvd.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Goo5e, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Goo5e macrumors newbie

:confused: I have video footage on a Sony AVCHD video camera, which i need to put to DVD.

I have imported to the new imovie, then transfered it to imovie HD (06). That all worked alright. Then worked it into iDVD, still with no problems.

When all was finished onto the DVD disc, the playback from disc in dvd player onto TV is not clear, has a ghost trail effect to it.

I have tried heaps of test discs, with different settings. Not sure if something not set right.

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

The only thing that I can think of is to make iDVD use less compression. How long is your movie? If less than one hour, you can use the "best" checkbox in the preferences.

That might help.

3. Goo5e thread starter macrumors newbie

The test disc's i'm doing are only around 5 mins long.

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I've never tried what you're doing, so my suggestions are based only on voodoo ...

1. Ensure that your AVCHD files get converted to full resolution AIC when you import using iMovie'08. There is a preference setting in '08 that allows you to import 1920x1080i or 960x540p. Although both resolutions are higher than what DVDs are burned at, I suspect that using 1080i would be better overall. Also, perhaps iMovieHD has issues with working with 540p since that was never an option on iMovieHD.

2. Ensure that the iMovieHD project that you created is set up for HDV. I'm not sure how you import AIC into an iMovieHD project, so I'm guessing that when you grab the AIC files, it'll just come right over (meaning a straight file copy versus an import).

3. When you burn in iDVD, make sure you have all of the highest quality settings checked off.

NOTE - there was some discussion regarding issues with iMovie'08 and DVD burning. The end result was that the quality wasn't that great when using the Media Library feature (I forget what it's called at the moment). The culprit was that the exporting resolutions didn't quite match DVD quality (or miniDV either) and that when users selected a lower resolution, iDVD then up-res'd it, resulting in lousy video quality. Not sure if this applies to your situation.

ft

5. Goo5e thread starter macrumors newbie

When i'm importing to '08, it is set to import 1080i.

I have then imported to iMovieHD, which the footage comes up clear. Not sure where to check that the iMovie project that iv'e created is set for HDV?

Then i share it to iDvd, when i playback in iDvd it all seems clear aswell. Iv'e tried with all the highest quality settings.

I have imported footage from mini dv tapes to iMovieHD, then gone to iDvd, Those discs work fine. Its just the AVCHD imported from Imovie'08.

I have been waiting for months for the new iMac so i could use all my footage from new HD AVCHD Video Camera, to make DVD's. I have used Apple Macs making movies since the first iMac with no trouble. Now with the new Imovie, i'm lost, cause i want to go to DVD.

6. kencris macrumors newbie

imovie 08 share question

Hello, I am new in this movies in imovie, but so far I was doing good, I created my project in imovie 08, and it looks great, when I play it full screen the resolution is beautiful, no complains at all. But now I have a BIG problem I need to burn it on a dvd, so for that I need to share it, I have tried all kinds of sharing the file and when I see the video shared the quality is terrible, all blurry and you can not even read the titles properly, what is going on? am I doing something wrong? why does the quality of video comes out different when shared? Can anyone please help me out?