Avengers movie is crushing my air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by robopath, Sep 28, 2012.

1. robopath macrumors regular

I have late 2011 air with 4 GB of ram. The new Avengers movie creates a huge delay in response from my air. When I click play, there is a 20-30 second delay before it starts to play. This is the SD version, not the HD one. I have lots of movies from itunes both SD and HD and none do this. Do I have corrupt copy? Some new protection scheme? Different resolution needed? I've tried everything and am out of ideas.
    Thanks

2. jinesh macrumors newbie

I usually get some lag/delay while watching bluray rips (1080p quality with file sizes of 8gb & above) on my Air, but it's normally 4-8 seconds & occurs when I start or skip to different parts of the movie.

Maybe you could try using VLC player and/or making sure you don't have any memory or processor intensive programs running in the background (using Activity Monitor) & if killing those processes makes things run faster.

I haven't heard about any new protection scheme but I do know iTunes got a massive update some time back & a new version is being released soon so it could be something to do with that. Anyways try getting the HD version & see if the issue persists.

Hope this helps :)

3. robopath thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I have a resolution in case anyone is interested. Got this from apple:

Dear iTunes Customer,
    Thank you for downloading the movie The Avengers. Unfortunately, the movie you received may have had issues playing correctly. We have corrected the problem and a new copy is available to download, free of charge. To receive the new version, please re-download the title from iTunes.
    Before downloading the new version, remove the current version:
    1) Open iTunes on your computer.
    2) Click on your Movies library.
    3) Click the movie to select it, and press the Delete key.
    4) Click Delete Movie and then click Move to Trash.
    To download the new version:
    1) Sign into the iTunes Store.
    2) Click Purchased on the right side in the iTunes Store under the QUICK LINKS section.
    3) Click on Movies and select the movie you want to download.
    4) Click the Cloud download icon to download the movie.
    You will now have an updated version of the movie in your Movies Library.