Average Charge time from 0-100% on new MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeBrWade, Oct 24, 2008.

1. MikeBrWade macrumors member

My new MBP is taking FOREVER to charge, what kind of times are you guys getting?

2. iViking macrumors 6502

I was going to post something about this.

If I use my new MBP for about ten minutes, it takes several hours to recharge it? Seems crazy compared to the previous model(s).

3. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

It takes about 4X the time that my iBook took. I didn't check but I think it's almost 2 hours if not more!

4. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

It takes me 5+ hours to get from 0-100% on my MBP. More than twice as long as my PowerBook :mad:

5. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

6. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

This extended charging time is the opposite of what I would have expected with a lower capacity battery. Does anyone have an explanation?

7. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

I'm definitely leaning towards a second battery if my charge times don't drop a bit. I'd rather have a full battery ready to go than have to wait for enough power to get me through whatever I am doing.

Also, could everyone clarify whether or not they are charging with their computer on, or off?

Me, off and about 4.5 hours from zero charge.

8. dnguyen macrumors regular

i don't have the new mbp but the non pro and it takes foreverrrr to charge as well. much longer than it took me to charge my old ibook.

i heard the mac book air's take a long time to charge too? anyway, i wonder why they take so long now.

9. consumedsoul macrumors regular

If I drain battery and plug back in, advertising as 02:02 to full charge (realistically probably more). :(

10. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

From my understanding, here's the deal:

The time taken to charge the battery in not a linear function. For example, it'll take 2 hours to go from 0-90%, and then another 2 hours to go from 90-100%. (I just made up those numbers, but you get the point)

I'm not entirely sure why, but someone elsewhere said something about the battery being charged slower when it approaches the higher percentages in order to avoid overcharging.

11. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I am hoping the 10.5.6 update will lower the recharging time and eliminate the problems with previous notebook batteries.

12. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

This is a huge problem for me as where I will be using my MBP we only have generator power for around 3 hours a day. With my old Blackbook this was sufficient to charge it to 100% each evening. I pray to God this is something that can be fixed in an update.

Are there any external chargers that can be bought that charge these batteries more quickly? Anybody know of batteries available from third parties? Even if I buy a second battery I would have to run the generator 10 hours to charge them up as I can't charge them both at the same time. 1 liter of petrol is around $1 USD in that area. I know this is sort of an unique problem but I didn't guess 5 hour charge times for the new MBP

They really make it hard to use a Mac in the third world. So my new MBP can't be charged easily nor does it even support the language of the country I am going to be using it in.

13. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

14. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

Fastmac makes one but I don't know if it's compatible with the new batteries.

http://fastmac.com/ucharge.php

15. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

I think its like 4.5 hours but you probably could get a good amount of time off a 2 hour quick charge

16. LastZion macrumors 6502a

Yes, I too noticed this, I guess your explanations make sense, but it is still annoying compared to my old 4 month old MBP.

17. moclippa macrumors member

Are you going to be the first Unibody Macbook Pro in Iraq? Or perhaps an aristocratic missionary unit in Ethiopia? Maybe an Apple packing Arctic explorer who decided an extra two inches of screen real estate on his MBP was more important then additional food rationing? Whatever the case take photos!:p

18. MikeBrWade thread starter macrumors member

Well of course the charge time/percentage isn't linear. The voltage difference on a "dead" battery is significantly less than a fully charged battery. Say for a car battery dead is around 11.4 Volts (Just pulled that off the top of my head but you get the idea) while fully charged is 12.56 ish.

So when you first hook up the charger at say 14V the amount of potential difference causes A LOT of current to flow into the battery. This is actually when you can damage the battery with too much current. However as you get closer to the "full" mark less and less current wants to flow into it because the voltage increases.

Now this is an EXTREMELY simplified example but you get the idea. However I think I am going to go the way that another poster mentioned and just have two batteries. Thanks for all the numbers guys.

19. firesong macrumors member

I was calibrating my MBP, and I've noticed the same. It seems to take much longer to charge the new MBP.

20. bsrolston macrumors newbie

So, should I fully charge my new MBP before even turning it on? Because... like you guys said it's taking forevveerrr and I'm getting impatient and want to get the thing going.

21. Apple addict macrumors member

MacBook Air was the same, at first.

When the MBA first came out they took forever to charge as well (can't remember the exact time) but after about 4-5 cycles the time to charge went way down, if I remember correctly time was cut in half.

I have only fully charged and drained mine one time so far, working on my second charge now. Will have to keep track of the amount of time to charge next time because this past time I charged over night so don't really know how long it took.

Gary

22. Apple addict macrumors member

follow up to charge time report

I drained the battery yesterday morning and shut it down. When I got back from work last night I started it back up and the charge was at 9%.
    The MBP was hooked up to AC power and it was fully charged 3:55 later. At this point I have 3 cycles on the battery and it is at 100% health. This will have been my second complete battery drain and fully charge session.

Gary

23. quasar macrumors newbie

More of the same garbage battery life

Same story here; my unibody MBP takes forever to charge. A couple of points:

1) For some reason, the capacity of my battery is staying above the rated capacity (it stays between 4700 and 4900 mAh).

2) I called Apple, and the rep said that my times are completely normal. ********. My last MBP that I exchanged for the unibody one charged faster than it drained. If Apple thinks 4+ hours to charge a mediocre capacity battery is normal, then they need to wake up and realize that they are way subpar when it comes to laptop battery life.

UPDATE: I have completed 11 load-cycles.

24. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i'm on my 3rd charging cycle and 4+hrs at least. Too long.

25. Protokoll macrumors member

Some of you need to stop complaining for three minutes and do some research. The reason that the battery takes a while to charge is because, as another poster has already explained, the charge cycle is not a linear function. For example, if it takes four hours to charge your battery from completely empty to completely full, you would expect that after charging the battery for two hours, the available charge would be hovering around 50%. This is not the case; realistically your battery charge would be closer to 80%.

The MacBook Pro (and most new electronic devices) initiate a quick-charging cycle from 0% to 80% -- this takes approximately 1.5 to 2 hours. After this, the adapter will regulate the flow of electricity and trickle in the last 20% over the course of 2-3 hours. This prevents the battery from overcharging and extends the life of the battery significantly.

Stop complaining about the charge time because if they didn't implement these battery mechanics, you would all be whining about poor battery health and depleted batteries in 6 months.

As for my background and how I know these things, I am an electromechanical design engineer with significant, notable expertise in battery-powered systems.