Average Internet user puzzled by latest lingo

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Macworld link
The average American Internet user doesn’t know the meaning of some of the hottest new online terms, according to a study released this month by the Pew Internet & American Life Project.
Terms most know: firewall, spam.

Terms most don't know: podcast, RSS, phishing.

Their study of 2000 Americans shows that knowing more of these types of terms correlates with being male, having a college degree, being online more frequently, and with being younger. I assume that the results would be the same if they interviewed Internet users in other countries as well.

I don't think these results are surprising, and for the most part I don't think it's a problem either. People learn new terms all the time, as the need arises.

One worry: Spreading the word about phishing is important (rather than waiting for people to learn about scams by falling victim), and perhaps banks and other official organizations that warn their customers are confusing people by using too many buzzwords.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
This doesn't surprise me too much. Actually that "firewall" is an understood term does surprise me; I would think that a difficult one.

I used to work tech support for an ISP in the US and got calls along the lines of "I'd like the latest version of the internet install on my CD drive, please." Most people I've run into cannot use the words "download" and "upload" properly. The one that gets me the most is when they say on TV to "log onto our website" Arrrrgh! You don't log onto a website!!

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Well, I got 7 right. Of course I didn't know the BBC comedy series, how many people in the UK are on broadband, and who started the napster (that one was a change-up pitch, though.)

I like the term Dongle Reflex Maintenance now :D

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Applespider said:
Very easy although I suspect our overseas friends might have difficulty with the TV show that the Beeb is showing online first.
I guessed and got it right :)
Got the one about %age of UKers using broadband wrong though.

Oh, and E: None of the above. Digital Restrictions Management, thank you very much. After all, that's what it does! :rolleyes:

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Applespider said:
The BBC did a story on 'digital citizens' this week and had a quiz to go along with it

Are you a digital citizen?

Very easy although I suspect our overseas friends might have difficulty with the TV show that the Beeb is showing online first.
Wow, I had 9 right. Just missed the UK broadband users by 4% points. I must admit though, that I had to guess with the online show.

swy32x

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2005
I took it too, got 8, all the ones except for the two UK specific.

More like are you an Apple addict more than a digital citizen!

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Applespider said:
The BBC did a story on 'digital citizens' this week and had a quiz to go along with it

9/10. I only missed the BBC question. Does this make me a geek? :)

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
What the **** is a moblog? Man, some people have wierd names for stuff...

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Applespider said:

I took the quiz and got 9/10 right. The only one I missed was "What percentage of internet users in the UK are now using broadband?"

Even got the TV show one correct although I have never heard of it before.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Veldek said:
Wow, I had 9 right. Just missed the UK broadband users by 4% points. I must admit though, that I had to guess with the online show.
I took the test before reading the other posts about it (so I wouldn't learn anything that would be cheating). I got 9 out of 10, and I see that my score and error exactly matched yours. We must be twins. :)

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
9/10 - I guessed (wrongly) the BBC show - I hadn't actually heard of any of them, and guessed correctly the percentage of broadband users, the two middle options being very close together.