Average size of iphone app?????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by speeddevil45678, Jul 4, 2008.

1. speeddevil45678 macrumors member

Hey guys, this will be my breaker of my deadlock of either picking up a 8gb or 16gb(White, classic apple ;)) I was wondering, with all the current 2.0 apps and the obvious hundreds more to come, will 8gb be enough to get a few apps with very little space wasted on music, movies and pictures? And also if anyone can tell me what the average size of each app will be, ranging from a simple converter to a game like super monkey ball. Thanks!! 6 DAYS 22 HOURS LEFT UNTIL 7/11, 8AM!!! (EST)

2. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

i am still trying to decide between 8GB and 16GB. This would be a great help for my indecisive self.

3. speeddevil45678 thread starter macrumors member

You have to ask yourself, will you be using it for music and or movies too? Cause i got a big zune to handle all that so im good. Also if u really like the white one than just get it, unless u get a full body case then it would make no sense with the color.

4. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

5. alFR macrumors 68020

The average size of jailbreak apps is apparently <5Mb, but commercial ones with a lot of data (games, gps guidance) might be quite a lot bigger.

This was covered in another thread in detail, plz use the search button!

6. VideoShooter macrumors regular

A ZUNE?!?!?!?! ICK!

Get a 16GB. You'll be a lot happier in six months.

7. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

I doubt there will be loads of large apps, as Apple seems to prefer us to download apps off the cellular network rather than off iTunes, so most apps should be under 10MB which is the limit of apps you can download off 3G and EDGE. Anything over 10MB will download off WiFi and iTunes only. I reckon 8GB iPhone is fine, my current iPhone which I had jailbroken a while ago (restored it now) had loads of apps and it still didn't take up much space.

8. aosman macrumors 6502

It really seems most of the developers will want to have their apps available over AT&T 3G Downloading, hence would be less than 10MB.

9. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I highly recommend getting a 16GB if you can afford it... I've got an 8GB iPod touch and with 3.5GB of music I feel a little tight...

10. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

what will the actual free space be on an 8GB iPhone?

11. philgilder macrumors 68000

about 7.2GB

12. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

good question. How much space does the OS, and anything else take up. Do texts take up alot of space after a while. I never really delete my texts, so it could build up. Hows about mail too? I think I will get the 16GB, then i'll be fine.

13. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

great.
    thats phil.
    *converts all files to AAC*

yep, she'll be good :D

14. philgilder macrumors 68000

thats exactly what ive done :) AAC VBR minimum 96kbps (sounds low, but AAC is better than MP3 and i cant hear the difference between bit rates)
    could get about 2400 songs on an 8gb iphone

15. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

i take it you arent buying a 16GB either?
    i just dont see the point of 16GB (in my case)...

i dont need it for videos...
    i have a PSP for games....

16. philgilder macrumors 68000

i havent decided
    16gb could just hold all my music
    and i use it for the odd video, and will have games and maybe tomtom if its ever released. besides, 16gb isnt that expensive on certain contracts, which i need for calls

17. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I myself am getting the 16GB model. I currently have the 8GB and i use all of that between Videos/Music/Photos. I plan to have quite a few Apps installed and a few games. I mean for only $100 more you double the size...I say it is well worth it.

18. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I keep changing my mind. Neither 8GB nor 16GB would hold my music (I have 33GB of it), so either way I would have to make a playlist, and keep changing it depending on what I wanted to listen to. I don't see myself watching videos on it, as If I go on a journey, I drive, and never use public transport. Watching a film while driving would not be wise. Also, if apps are probably going to be less than 10MB each for the most part, I am now thinking 8GB will be fine. And then it will be free. And the £59 saved could go one something else, mobileme for example. Hmm :confused:

19. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I'm getting the 16GB. I think it is a no-brainer considering the marginal extra cost. If you're going to be putting music on it, 16GB is the way to go. Remember that you lose 10% capacity from the go simply from installed software and the formatting trick (where 16GB actually means 14.4GB, etc).

If you're going to be using it with music, you'll appreciate the extra space. I was actually hoping for a 32GB model so that I could put all my music on and not have to be selective, while still having some space left, but I realise the chips are still too expensive. 8GB to me though has never sounded like enough.

20. Wolf103FM macrumors regular

I'll be going for the 8GB, as I have a 16GB touch for music and such

21. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I'm torn on this issue too. I have only about 2.5 GB of music on my Nano and I might occasionally rent a movie or two but I don't have a need to carry video with me at all times. 8GB is fine for me but it's the size of apps that has me second guessing the size I buy. If we are talking about an average of ~10 MB then the 8GB model will fine for me.

I wish there would be an App Store preview a day or two before launch so we could at least do a little window shopping.

22. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The 16GB iPhone 3G has 14.4GB available to the user according to the video Apple released last week.

23. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

Here's an update on this topic from the USA Today review: