Average Temperature?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Sep 14, 2011.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

What is your average temperature when you're on Al Jazeera English with Flash enabled and nothing else running? I'm worried that my MBP has too much thermal paste applied.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Idle with no apps on: 50°C
    Flash-enabled website on HD 3000: 63°C
    Max temperature with Radeon HD 6750M: 95°C

5. Jrv macrumors regular

My Pro idles around 45 degrees, hovers between 50-70 on the internet, and goes into the 80's with the fans on full blast during intensive applications.

6. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I remember drilling a hole in my refrigerator and storing the CPU case inside the fridge and leading the cables for Keyboard, mouse monitor to my desk to make the ultimate 6000W cooling solution. This was college when i was drinking a lot...
    :)

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Ah yes, brings back fond memories of the college days :)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I suddenly feel very old! :eek:

9. xpcker macrumors regular

i would say that at work. my average is 75ºC

thats with itunes, some office, photoshop, one or two youtube vid, chrome with 10+ pages open and parallels 7

im in a 15" 2010 mbp. also i have changed the thermal paste to Coollaboratory Liquid Pro

cheers!

Coollaboratory Liquid Pro made my tempo to go like 8ºC lower in idle =),. also, the notebook takes much less to cool down :D