Average Transfer Speeds to Airport Extreme USB HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aboo, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys,

I recently acquired an Airport Extreme Base Station. Its the previous generation - i.e. the one that does not have the dual band technology. I am getting extremely poor upload speeds to this drive while trying to backup (using time machine) or transferring even small files. Generally the transfer speeds are less than 1 mb/sec. Is this normal? I was under the impression that under wireless N, these transfer speeds would be much faster. I am literally within 5 feet of the router.

Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Wireless N is much faster than that, yes. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean drives connected to the Extreme will be as fast as N... It is a bit underpowered for a file server unfortunately. Fast enough for my use as it is though.

Your transfer speeds do seem a bit low to me, but on the other hand, I've never used mine for Time Machine. I only use it for VIDEO_TS folders, a completely different kind of transfers. Small random transfers are as bad as they get, large sequential ones are way nicer.

For reference, I'm supplying my Xbench numbers as well. Benchmark through 11n connected to an Airport Extreme of the same generation as yours, 5 feet away, running 11n and wired devices only.

Attached Files:

3. Aboo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow - your trasfer speeds are indeed a lot faster. I wonder how those with the time capsule fare. Do you think the transfer speeds would be similar?

Thanks again for your reply!