AVG Heart Rate for Outdoor Runs

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Wahoo14, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Wahoo14 macrumors newbie

Wahoo14

I saw one post regarding an issue with the AW recording the AVG Heart Rate, but I did not see this issue in there.

I do two cardio workouts in the morning. I use an elliptical for 35-40 minutes, the run my dog 3 miles. The AVG Heart Rate is recorded during the elliptical workout and is present in the Activity App afterwards. During my run, I see the heart rate being measured and is on the watch when I see the statistics of the run (distance, avg pace, heart rate, etc.), but does not appear in the Activity App. The issue is, this is not consistently the case. It always appears for an elliptical workout, but randomly appears for runs and walks, and this has been on 1.0.1, 2.0, and 2.0.1.

Steps taken:

1. Called AppleCare and they initially sent me an Apple webpage that began saying it would not record while the arm is in motion. I pointed out the individual that further down the page it states, "Outdoor runs will give more accurate results for heart rate." They "opened a ticket" within Apple because they also found the webpage to be contradictory.
    2. They had me unpair and repair the AW. That worked for my run the next day, but the randomness followed after.
    3. Returned the AW Friday as the "genius" thought that AW may had a fault in its software. They new one does the same.
    I understand this is not the perfect activity tracker (I have a Garmin 220), but I found the information fairly accurate, enjoy they interaction with the App, but this is frustrating.

Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Looking back at my runs, walks and rides I have average heart rates associated with the workouts. I did see this a while back but started wearing my band one hole tighter for workouts and have not seen it since. So, just before and just after I will adjust my band tightness to be a little more than normal so as I sweat the contact remains. Other than that, I'm not sure.

After your workout, once you hit the end and save button you get a summary of the workout on the watch. When you scroll through are you getting an average rate there? Wondering if its transferring. Look too in the Health app and see if its taking regular measurement during your workout. The rates will (should be) listed in the heart rate category in Health.