AVI file seems shorter in Quicktime than in VLC

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by soundbase, Mar 23, 2011.

1. soundbase macrumors newbie

I have used MacX DVD Ripper Pro to convert some of my DVD's to AVI.

When I play the file in Quicktime it seems to end sooner than when I play it in VLC.

I want to burn the AVI's to DVD, as my DVD reads AVI files. I then don't have to find each disc, I can watch a disc with multiple AVI's on.

The problem is that on the DVD player it also reads the file like Quicktime and ends early even though there is still some of the movie left.

Is there something wrong with the way I am converting it? It doesn't happen to every disc I convert only some, so it is quite random and annoying.

2. simsaladimbamba, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

simsaladimbamba

Maybe try another transcoder like an older version of Handbrake which still supports the .avi container, as that software you use seems like the software that gets spammed here from time to time.

Does your DVD player support other file formats and codecs?
    What codec did you use? ( VideoSpec (I prefer that, though it hasn't been updated since 11/2009), MediaInfo Mac (10/2010) or MediaInfo (10/2010, there is a Mac OS X version to download, VideoSpec and MediaInfo Mac are using the same library as MediaInfo) can help you find it out with the transcoded .avi )