.avi files black problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Optix, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Optix macrumors newbie

Whenever I try to open an avi file it opens black. I have about 30 recorded avi files that i want to use in iMovie. I've tried installing quicktime codecs from several sites, including perian. I've tried opening it in 2 different players. I've tried converting it to several different formats so I'm kinda at loss of what to do.

Terminal:
    Macintosh:~ samsexton$ file /Users/samsexton/Desktop/\=osk\=\ movie/BF2142\ 2008-03-21\ 01-02-16-49.avi

/Users/samsexton/Desktop/=osk= movie/BF2142 2008-03-21 01-02-16-49.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 400 x 300, >30 fps, video: uncompressed

Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Regards,
    Optix.

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Well avi is kind of a wrapper. The actually content can be compressed in any number of formats. Lots of people like to use all sorts of crazy compression schemes because they don't know any better.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeah avi is a container format. if the video codec is mpeg QuickTime will be able to play it natively.

open the avi in VLC and quote the codecs under the stream in Information (command-I).

4. Optix thread starter macrumors newbie

The actual files were recorded by fraps in windows XP.

I've dragged the files into mac to edit in iMovie. This usually works but it didn't this time. Going back and recording everything again isnt really an option as it took me hours to do in the first place..

Hope this helps?
    Optix.

EDIT: downloading VLC now.

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

It doesn't really matter what the videos were from but rather how the videos were saved. Can you open it up in VLC and tell us what they were compressed using?

6. Optix thread starter macrumors newbie

right i got this problem

Opened it in the messages log if this helps:
    So it wouldn't even open the file.

7. Optix thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried converting the files using different converters, they just convert and open in black - the same as the .avi file.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i have no idea but my guess would be that the video file is corrupted if VLC cant open it. you may have to record some new videos. what kind of video camera is it?

9. Optix thread starter macrumors newbie

It's fraps footage.

I was thinking that I could convert the files in windows and then bring them through to mac, however I deleted the files after i dragged them off windows. When i try to put them back on my windows desktop through mac it says I don't have permissions.

I could try putting my files on a disc and transferring them but I'm only willing to do this if they're going to work when i drag them back into mac again.

10. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, FPS1 is the fraps codec which isn't available for mac. You'll have to do something with it on the pc.

11. Optix thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I read up on that just then. Looks like I'll have to spend a few hours transferring the files to windows and converting them there.

Thanks for all your help,
    Optix.