AVI files from PC

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AlwaysHopeful, Sep 9, 2007.

1. AlwaysHopeful macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I have copied some AVI files I had made from uploading MiniDV tapes from my Sony PC100E video camera from my old PC to my shiny new iMac.

On the PC they looked fine, but on my new iMac when played from iPhoto using Quicktime they look extremely grainy at all resolutions.

Can I get a better AVI player? Or is there a better Quicktime codec, or is Apple just trying to get one over me as I had the temerity to use a PC in a previous life!

Any guidance gratefully recieved.

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

:) Apple aren't conspiring against you, don't worry.

AVI is like a parcel that can contain any old video it wants to. I personally hate it, and some files will play nicely and some just won't.

If you started with MiniDV then it's best to either use H.264/MPEG-4 codecs, to be honest. .avi is just asking for trouble.

I can't really offer advice about getting those AVIs to play better, as i declared war against them many years ago. If it's going to work it will be through VFW, such as Media Player. :(

MA.

[[P.S. Why are you opening with iPhoto? Load direct into QT is what i'd do.]]

3. AlwaysHopeful thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Much Ado,

I did transfer my latest direct into iMovie and took the defaults, from memory it took the conversion you suggest. However there was quite a bit of frame drop and a soccer section is so blocky it's unusable.

I have the iMac 2.4mhz is this to be expected?

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Basically, you need a better codec to match whatever avi codec was used to make the avi file.

Mkae sure you install Perian version 1.0 or whatever the latest Perian codec pack is, and also get the Divx codec for Mac, and 3ivX for mac. Install them one at a time, and play the file. If it won't play, or QT or Front Row crash suddenly after one of them is installed, uninstall that codec and look for another.

Brian

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Install Flip4Mac as well. That is the replacement for Windows Media Player on the Mac and should resolve the vast majority of AVI related problems on your system.

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

The 3ivX and DivX components are unnecessary if you install Perian. Just install Perian and Flip4Mac.

7. AlwaysHopeful thread starter macrumors member

Presumably I need to upgrade to QTpro.

Dumb question, but which one to try first Flip4mac or Perian?

8. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Perian gives you .avi support in Quicktime, iMovie, etc. Flip4Mac is for .wmv support.

However, I'm still not clear exactly what you are trying to do or what the issue is.

9. AlwaysHopeful thread starter macrumors member

I have moved from my PC.

But in the past I have transcribed my MiniDV tapes from my Sony PC100E camcorder to AVI.

The files always looked fine on the PC, but look really grainy on the Mac at any resolution.

I transcribed the last tape from the camcorder direct into iMovie08, The quality is generally fine at default settings, but a soccer scene is blocky and unusable.

So really I want to view my old AVIs on my Mac with a better codec (I think). And I need a better way of getting "action" footage off the camcorder.

I have a 2.4mhz iMac.

Thanks for any thoughts

10. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

MiniDV should be editable in iMovie without any conversion. From there you can export it to anything you want. h.264 quicktimes would be a good bet, or mpeg-4.

Your old AVIs will be playable in Quicktime with Perian installed, or playable in other apps like VLC as well.

11. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

12. HHERBERS macrumors newbie

HHERBERS

I Had It !

I am moving back to iMovie 6 HD 6.0.3 so that I can import my AVI files without having to use Perian, iSquint, ffmpegX or I do know what else !!!

I really do not understand why iMovie 6 can import AVI files which encaspulate of mjpeg, yuvj422p, 640x480 sequence formats and iMovie 8 cannot .... Help me please !

:confused::eek::confused::eek::(

13. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

perian is a must on any mac in my opinion and if you use vlc also, you shouldn't have any trouble playing most of the media files out there.
    however, maybe re-encoding your movies using another codec might be a good idea.
    .avi isn't that a good quality...I personally like h264 better.

14. HHERBERS macrumors newbie

HHERBERS

What about the differences between iMovie 6 and 8 ?

Please explain why iMovie 8 is not upwards compatible with iMovie 6 ?