Avi. files into Imovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Luke212, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Luke212 macrumors newbie

Hi there, i've just bought a iMac and transfered some of my films i have downloaded from my PC, i use to use VLC player on that. When i tried to open my films with QuickTime couldn't see but could hear it. I then downloaded VLC Player on my Imac which worked fine.

after that i tried to import my avi files to Imovie and they were faded and we couldn't import them. i've read a few things on here but none seem to relate to me and if they do seem way to difficult.

Sorry need a bit of a dummys guilde, if anyone could help me would be greatly appreciated!

/Luke.

2. SailorTom macrumors regular

download perian if you haven't already done so. it should sort out quicktime, then you can also add them to iTunes if you want.

as for iMovie i'm not too sure, probably depends how they were encoded

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Perian advice holds. If the videos work in iTunes, then they are expected to work in iMovie.

4. Luke212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys ill try that now.

Just downloaded, says i still need extra quicktime components and given me a link to install Xvid Codec. Shall i install this then try again?

5. Luke212 thread starter macrumors newbie

They don't seem to want to import into Itunes.. arghhh :(

6. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

You cant import .avi's into itunes. I use quicktime pro to save as .mov and then I can import them into itunes. It works perfectly for all files that arent AC3 audio, those end up with the audio out of sync. Your best bet that Ive found (and PLEASE correct me if Im wrong) is to convert the videos to mp4 using qt pro/iSquint or the like.