.avi files not playing on iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DougY, Sep 15, 2010.

1. DougY macrumors 6502

I have an iMac, 3.06gig, 27". I recently purchased a Toshiba Camileo s20 camcorder. It records movies in the .avi format. When I transfer them to my iMac, they don't play, using Quicktime and RealPlayer, both of which should play .avi format. Can anyone tell me what Im doing wrong? Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

VLC, Movist or Perian (to make QT Player into an .avi player).

4. DougY thread starter macrumors 6502

I have VLC on my iMac, didn't open the .avi file. Since I posted the request however, I did find a program called "Perian" that DID allow Quicktime to open my .avi files. So at least I can view them on my iMac. Are there any patches for VCI? Now I have to find a way to play .avi files on my iPad, thats where I store the video files from my Camcorder when I'm out in the field.

5. Jakelshark macrumors member

Jakelshark

Shenanigans on VLC not being able to open a media file. Speaking of which though, VLC is supposed to be coming out for the iPad very soon.

6. DougY thread starter macrumors 6502

Perian

Downloaded and installed Perian, and it works fine on my iMac now, thanks. I can now view my .avi movies on the iMac. However, can you suggest software to install on my iPad that will allow me to view .avi on the iPad? Thats where I store my movies from the camcorder when Im out in the field. Thanks.

7. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Player

My favorite player of late is Mplayer OSX Extended because it multitheaded and processor aware.

Check it out.