AVI files not transferring to USB correctly from Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sezdarragh, Dec 21, 2010.

1. sezdarragh macrumors newbie

I have recently purchased a USB stick so that i can plug into my tv to watch movies on. However when transferring AVI files from my Mac onto my USB stick it seems to transfer the whole file but when I try to watch it through quicktime or on TV it is unable to read the file.

the thing is it is not happening to all my AVI files as some of them are able to be transferred to USB and work fine but then others are not working and I am not sure what the difference is. The AVI files all work fine on my Mac before i transfer them but something is breaking down when they are transferred.

Any help please as I have been unable to find a solution.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Are the files that don't work larger than 4Gb?

3. sezdarragh thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

As avi files are often containers for video files that can be compiled with various different codes, perhaps your TV can't play all of them.

5. sezdarragh thread starter macrumors newbie

But the problem is that my Mac also wont play the files once they are transferred onto USB??

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Take an MD5 hash (Google if you don't know how) of the file before and after the transfer to check it's not being corrupted by the USB stick.

I've also seen AVI contained videos that can't play until the entire thing has been scanned by Quicktime. If that is the case the dirt-slow transfer speed of USB would mean it would take a very long time before the movie file could start playing...