.avi files to dvd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by furiousgeorge13, Jan 13, 2009.

1. furiousgeorge13 macrumors newbie

please dumb this down for me b/c i am getting frustrated

i am trying to take .avi files approx 700mb in size and convert them to a dvd that will play in any dvd player while still maintaining a high quality picture.
    i have handbrake and i have toast 10 titanium

what is the simpliest way to do this?

my dvd player doesnt support DivX

any help is much appreciated

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The simplest way is just to burn a video DVD in Toast. It should take care of the re-encoding for you. It does take an extremely long time in my experience, though.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You will lose quality because it requires a re-encode, but if HB can open the file (it has trouble with some AVI files), export it as an MPEG-4 (not h.264), then import into iMovie and build a DVD from that.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You will lose a lot of quality because it requires two re-encodes, for a total of four in the life span of the video.

source -> DVD -> AVI -> MPEG-4 -> DVD

It'll be downright unwatchable by the time you're done with it.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I said it would lose quality.

I just answered the OP's question. If you want to take it up with him, knock yourself out.

6. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

strangely enough i just did this an hour ago...

burned a 700mb divx movie to dvd via toast...
    the resulting dvd was more than watchable, but definitely not as good as the .avi

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I have had some experience with burning AVIs in Toast and 9 times out of 10 the resulting video is only slightly lower quality than the AVI. Every once and a while though Toast does not appear to do a good job of encoding.

The only other solution I can think of is to use a program like VisualHub to convert the file to VOB/VIDEO_TS but I have not tried this myself so I cannot comment on whether the output would be any better or possibly worse.

8. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I have had this problem for quite a while now. The AVIs look great but once they are on the DVD, the quality blows. I have Handbrake ad Toast but I am not very familiar with file types and encoding. I'll try to use Handbrake to change the file type.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You can always look at ffmpegx for more encoding options if you want to play around at that level as well, although I don't know if you would have any greater success...

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can't convert to a better format to re-create information that wasn't there to begin with. No matter what settings you use, every time you re-encode you are losing quality.

Yes, if you need to burn to video DVD, Toast is the way to go. If your player supports DivX/Xvid, just burn the AVI files to a data disk and you'll get better quality.