Avi Files To Rar

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EDY DINERO, Jul 17, 2008.

1. EDY DINERO macrumors newbie

how can i split large movie files (avi, mpeg,divs etc.) into smaller rar files? 700MB avi file into 7 0r 8 100MB .rar files.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Go to MacUpdate.com and search for "rar". That will turn up Rarify, SimplyRAR, and about a half dozen other apps or command-line utilities, most free, that will generate a RAR set. Some of these may also generate PAR parity files, which you may or may not want depending on what you're doing, but I've always liked MacPAR Deluxe for that purpose.

Incidentally, VersionTracker is the other site that catalogs shareware of this sort, but their search engine turned up everything with the string "rar" anywhere in it, so it was useless for this particular need, hence my MacUpdate recommendation.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

+1 on MacPAR DeLuxe. It absolutely rocks if you need to create .PAR files with your RAR set. It will also extract RAR files too.

4. RRutter macrumors 6502

Take Makosuke's advice.. But take my advice in saying that SimplyRAR is the best for creating movies, etc. into archives. MacPAR deLuxe is alright, but when it creates an archive, the total file size of all the PAR files is much larger than the movie. Also, you can't create a RAR file.

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

This is a bit of an old post and I have nothing new to add--but--there was a recent post about MacPar Deluxe and I just wanted to verify that MacPar Deluxe is a great tool for putting together those pesky parity files (.par). The download from the MacPar site is just one .dmg file--that's it--and it works great.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~gp/MacPAR_deLuxe/