AVI Files

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TillysWily, May 17, 2016.

1. TillysWily macrumors regular

Ok when I download a movie and its a BR rip but in AVI format it plays in VLC but the quality is CRAP its more like 480p if that. Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change or is it just that way and I don't need to download AVI? Thanks in advance.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

What sort of size is the file??? It may just be that it's ripped from bluray and encoded into lower resolution, I have no trouble with .avi file quality on VLC.

3. TillysWily thread starter macrumors regular

the file/files are all 1-1.5GB that's what I don't understand

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

There's nothing inherent in .avi that should make the video bad quality, and I doubt something is wrong with either the file or your player.

.avi files typically contain something like Xvid which is extremely ineffective in terms of its quality to file size ratio. You just need to find better video files. Look for X.264 in an .mp4 or .mkv container.

5. TillysWily thread starter macrumors regular

yes Im just not going to download anymore AVI files bc every single 1 I do does this and IDK why

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Probably because of what I mentioned.
    Try opening the file in VLC, hit Cmd + I, go to the "Codec Details" tab and see what is listed in the 2nd and 3rd lines about codec and resolution.

7. TillysWily thread starter macrumors regular

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That's pretty darn low resolution especially for that file size.

9. TillysWily thread starter macrumors regular

yes it is I didn't think to even look in there at it I think I have found my problem for sure

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Indeed. As mentioned, Xvid is very ineffective. So you have a low resolution Xvid video in a not very large file. That's predetermined to look bad.

1920x1080 h.264 can look pretty alright even in sub 2 GB sizes.

11. Garrod macrumors regular

Garrod

AVI files are just a container. It's the codec within that might lead to the source of your problem. As previously mentioned, even though it's a BR rip it doesn't mean it's a complete BR version; looking at your file size it looks like it has either been heavily compressed and / or had a lower resolution added.

Pertaining to what JTToft said above, don't worry about containers - looking for an MKV or MP4 etc. container is pretty irrelevant for most users; they can (on the whole) all contain videos with the same video and audio codecs.

12. JTToft macrumors 68040

- True. Though h.264 tends to be put inside .mp4 and .mkv rather than .avi containers.