Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackDaDancer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2004
Australia
I am sorry if this is a stupid question but I am brand new to Macs and need to know how I can view an avi file. Quicktime (the version that came with my Mac) doesn't seem to support the file type. Is there a general Media Player type tool that I can use?

Thanks

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
JackDaDancer said:
I am sorry if this is a stupid question but I am brand new to Macs and need to know how I can view an avi file. Quicktime (the version that came with my Mac) doesn't seem to support the file type. Is there a general Media Player type tool that I can use?

Thanks
IMO. dont use windows media player, its crap and you wont need it. Download VLC , it would play almost everythiing, for the rest get Mplayer..
although i hv hardly ever needed mplayer..
cheers

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
with the use of 3 video apps I can play ANY file I would ever download.

vlc: plays almost everything but real media and is a great app to use as a kick back and watch player because the full screen is very good. plays all avi, almost all mpg and almost all wmv or asf.

mplayer: plays everything that vlc does and then some but full screen is not the best. I use this app to scrub through stuff as it does that well. also, I use it to play whatever vlc will not.

real one player: plays all real media files

use these 3 and you will never not be able to play any video.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Yep, the above posters pretty much covered it all - I recommend VLC - I have yet to find a file I can't play with it! I also have MPlayer handy, and you could also use QuickTime, but only if you download some divx codecs for it and don't mind not being able to view things full screen (unless you have QT Pro).

But my recommendation is VLC without a doubt - and best of all it's free! :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
... Oh, and there's never such a thing as a "stupid quesiton" here on MacRumors. That's what we're all here for - to help each other out and learn. And to have fun, get into arguments, get frustrated at idiots, rant about G5 PowerBooks, slam Microsoft, yadda yadda... ;)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
JackDaDancer said:

Thanks
Most AVI files are really DivX-encoded files. The combination of DivX codecs from http://www.DivX.com and http://www.3ivx.com will allow you to play just about any AVI using Quicktime. There may be some files encoded with the old Indeo codecs. However, these codecs have not been ported to MacOS X. They can, however, be played with the Classic version of Quicktime.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
MisterMe said:
Most AVI files are really DivX-encoded files. The combination of DivX codecs from http://www.DivX.com and http://www.3ivx.com will allow you to play just about any AVI using Quicktime. There may be some files encoded with the old Indeo codecs. However, these codecs have not been ported to MacOS X. They can, however, be played with the Classic version of Quicktime.

even with those codecs quicktime still doesn't play lots of stuff.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
blue&whiteman said:
even with those codecs quicktime still doesn't play lots of stuff.
Sure, they don't play WMV and RAM files, but they do play just about every AVI file that I have encountered. This thread is about AVI files.

stl_lpified

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2004
NO SOUND>>> :(

Hi, I recently downloaded a movie and it is a folder with .r00-.r47 files, an avi file, and a .sfv file....the only file format I know of is .avi so I double clicked it and the movie popped up and it is great quality but there is no sound. Right now I am using quicktime but I will try any other program or method just as long as I can watch it with sound. If there is a way of transfering these files on a cd-r or dvd-r and watching it that would be great too.....thx for ur help

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
That's indicative of a pirated movie, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. :eek:

Presumably you've decompressed the rar files to get the avi? Chances are, if you're getting no sound, you probably need the AC3 codec. I've attached it. Quit QuickTime Player, then decompress the codec into /Library/QuickTime and see what happens.

Attachments

• AC3 Codec.component.zip
    20.7 KB · Views: 147

stl_lpified

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2004
It worked

sweet it worked....hey thanx man.....do u know if there is a way I can put this on a dvd or cdr so I can play it on my dvd player which is vcd and dvd-r compatible.... thx again

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Use Toast. Choose Video mode, then drag the file into Toast. It will automatically convert it to MPEG so that it can be played on your player.

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
stl_lpified said:
Hi, I recently downloaded a movie and it is a folder with .r00-.r47 files, an avi file, and a .sfv file....the only file format I know of is .avi so I double clicked it and the movie popped up and it is great quality but there is no sound. Right now I am using quicktime but I will try any other program or method just as long as I can watch it with sound. If there is a way of transfering these files on a cd-r or dvd-r and watching it that would be great too.....thx for ur help

those are .rar files. they need to be decompressed to be able to access the files. if you have .avi file i suspect that it decompressed on its own without your knowledge. as for the sound problem, i wish i could help.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I for one advise against using Real because it is crap and is spyware. Get mplayer, since avi is a compression type of divx, use vlc for anything quicktime can't play, except divx. If a site only has a video in real, then it isn't worth watching.

SLJ

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
svcd = mpeg 2 which quicktime does not support nor divx... i try vlc and it wont play as well... what else can i try? dvd player wont work as well...

the file is .mpeg but it claimed not mpeg 1, is mpeg 2...

anyone?

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
go to quicktime preferences. Click on plugins. Click the Mime button. Got to the second option down. Good luck

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
To play an SVCD in VLC, go to File -> Open Disc, choose VCD, then click OK. This is the 'only' way to play them, using Open File won't work.

stl_lpified

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2004
burning the movie

the movie...still playing great on my computer but I cant get it to vcd......do I just need to move the avi file into toast with the video cd option or cause I tried that and I put it into my dvd player and it pops up saying vcd and than says disc error...what am I doing wrong...if I tried the other video option it makes the file to big to put on a cdr.......help :( .............thx again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.