.avi+handbrake=???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mtfield, May 20, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

I have several .avi files that i want to convert to iphone compatible files.. but every time i try to import them into handbrake I get a message that says 'no valid title found.' can handbrake not convert .avi files? or what am i doing wrong? if it doesn't can you guys suggest an alternate way of doing this? I want to be able to set up a queue so i can leave for work and just let it go.. Thanks!

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nope

Handbrake is for VOb files from DVDs. Use VisualHub. Well, well worth the money.

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Rather than start a new topic, I'll ask here, since it's more or less related...

I have some video files (avi, mp4) that I want to re-encode to a smaller size. I'm looking for something like Handbrake that will work on these. Now I have VisualHub, but it doesn't have Handbrake-like presets (which I really like). To do any customizing is tedious (as far as I've been able to find), because you have to manually enter dimensions, frame rate, etc. That seems like a lot of trial and error. The 'tiny,' 'low,' 'standard,' 'high,' and 'Go Nuts' settings don't give any indication of what it's doing to the file (what the final dimensions, etc. will be).

So is there another, more Handbrake-like program out there? Or are there some good custom pre-sets out there for VisualHub?