AVI Import Bug with FCPX

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Meicyn, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Meicyn macrumors regular

Meicyn

I seem to be running into a rather bizarre issue when dragging and dropping AVI files into FCPX. Normally they work just fine, so long as they are under 2 minutes and 30 seconds in duration. Anything longer, and I get blank footage and no audio for the remainder of the clip. The videos I'm importing are all recorded by FRAPS while gaming in Windows, and there are no problems whatsoever when playing them in Quicktime or editing them using MPEGStreamclip. I'm led to believe it's a file size issue, as the videos in question run above the 2ish GB range, where anything after that point is read as blank. As an example, a 4 GB video that plays for around 4 minutes normally will show as a 2 minute 30 second clip with about a minute and a half of blank footage and no audio at the latter end. Given that the videos work everywhere except FCPX, it's clearly an issue within the application.

Right now, I'm getting around it by batch converting each AVI into MOV files encoded using Apple ProRes 422 HQ and then using the clips, but it'd be a lot more convenient if I didn't have to transcode first. Any ideas as to what might be causing it?

2. simsaladimbamba

In order to find out, what may be wrong with your video, you can use the following three applications to analyse a sample video file and provide us with the reports of a troublesome .avi file and a working .avi file.
    When done, you can use the "Report" (VideoSpec) and "Export" (Media Inspector) button to export a report,
    attachable to your next post via the [​IMG] button.
    In MediaInfo you have to go to the Menu Bar, select View > Text and copy the text via CMD+A > CMD+C and paste it via CMD+V into your next post.

Video Compression
    Why It Matters & How To Make The Most Of It

3. Meicyn thread starter macrumors regular

Meicyn

Here are attachments of the reports for both videos recorded by FRAPS. The larger file cuts off in FCPX after about 2:30, while the other file works perfectly.

Attached Files:

4. simsaladimbamba

Thanks, I only see one change, that is that the longer clips has a slightly slower video bit rate, but other than that, nothing.
    Anyway, as that .avi uses a FRAPS codec and a non-TV resolution (1600 x 900), it is always better to use properly transcoded footage, even if the FRAPS codec does seem to be not that compressive.