avi in fce

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by blueflash99, Aug 30, 2011.

1. blueflash99 macrumors newbie

I have an avi that I want to edit in FCE4.
    When I open it in FCE it looks as it should do in the viewer. But when I put it on the timeline and then render it, the resolution in the canvas is rubbish. Is there anything I can do to maintain the original resolution and clarity?

Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What are the formats of the video and audio tracks of your .avi file?

3. blueflash99 thread starter macrumors newbie

The avi was made by a program which allows screen capture of moving objects from that program. There is no audio track.

The avi has a frame width of 1628, frame height of 780 and a frame rate of 15fps.

I want to edit it in fce by slowing it down to about 25% of the original speed. add titles etc and export it in a format that can be played with say VLC and also I want to be able to include the final result in MS Powerpoint - I think this means I need an avi or mpg format.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

A couple of things. An .avi file is really just a container than may contain video and audio tracks in various formats. Your file has no audio track. However, it does have a video track. If you have a compatible QuickTime codec installed, then most QuickTime-compatible applications will handle it. You may determine the format by doing [cmd]+[i] within the Finder or within the QuickTime Player. You may also use VLC to get this information.

Also, you should download and install the Perian codec suite if you have not done so already. It is also strongly recommended that you download and install Flip4Mac.

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Was this screen capture made on a PC? If so, check AVIsynth or virtualdub (Windows). These programs could fix what you wanted to do. No FCE needed.

6. blueflash99 thread starter macrumors newbie

The original capture was on a pc. I will check out avisynth and vbub, thanks. The reason I wanted to use FCE was that I wanted to use the other features of FCE.
    The original avi plays quite ok in quicktime and in the FCE viewer. But when I look at it in the canvas, the image is blurred and the text unreadable. I wanted to know if,by converting the avi to another format, FCE would be able to handle it properly - and if so what is best format.
    Thanks for your help