Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phishinformayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Hello everyone, im having some issues with playing .avi files..ive tried updating quicktime and no dice, ive even tried VLC and nothing. Is there any kind of plug-in or some kind of codec that im over looking for quicktime? thanks

hclip

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2006
Im not sure how to get .avi's to play on quicktime but I use a program called MPlayer OSX that plays them and other video files just fine.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Download the Divx 6.0 codec from Divx.com. Better yet, search the forums for .avi, there was a thread about this the other day and someone posted all the vital codecs needed. Dixv, AC3, 3ivx and a couple others.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Have you looked in Quicktime's movie info (Command-I) to see if it lists the video codec? Most of the popular movie codecs are available for OS X, but you sometimes need to search around.

phishinformayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Thanks for all the help guys but im still not getting anywhere..ive tried downloading as many codecs as i can find but still nothing...wonder if i could try converting the .avi to maybe .mpg if that would work...any other ideas?

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
phishinformayer said:
Thanks for all the help guys but im still not getting anywhere..ive tried downloading as many codecs as i can find but still nothing...wonder if i could try converting the .avi to maybe .mpg if that would work...any other ideas?

Without the codec you can't read the movie, so you can't convert it either. Can a PC user you know open it? Is there a codec name listed in the Quicktime movie info? If there's a name there you can google it.

If not, then you might just be out of luck. There are a few codecs out there that just aren't available for OS X. It happens.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Check QuickTime codecs, download latest divx codecs, try VLC, MPlayer, Flip4Mac... Barring that my only suggestion is to verify the avi file isn't corrupt, and if it is not, find out what codec you need to use to watch it. Now on my PC I have an app called GSpot which does exactly that - it analyzes a file, tells you if it's corrupt, what video codec, audio codec, etc,. you need, where to download it, etc. - but I'm not aware what the OS X equivalent is for it. Anyone?

Perhaps search on VersionTacker for something that might assist you...

fisty

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2006
i know an aplication called "gspot" aye nice name:D

anyways this is a pc appz that tells ya what codec the file is encoded in,
im not yet a mac user....waiting for my macbookpro, sinc emy brother is a mac geek he told me go for it...

maybe there is an equivelant gspot programm for osx

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
phishinformayer said:

I'm guessing you're trying to play an old Microsoft .AVI codec.
If thats the case youi will never be able to since another company bought the codec and won't release a Mac version..

You can open it but only get sound right ?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
fisty said:
i know an aplication called "gspot" aye nice name:D

anyways this is a pc appz that tells ya what codec the file is encoded in,
im not yet a mac user....waiting for my macbookpro, sinc emy brother is a mac geek he told me go for it...

maybe there is an equivelant gspot programm for osx

Thanks for not taking the time to read any of the other replies and repeating exactly what I said in my post right above yours - redundancy is always very helpful. :p :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.