AVI/MKV to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Huiu, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Huiu macrumors member

Hello there

I just borrowed an iPad from a friend in order to watch movies while I am flying. So I guess the idea was pretty good, however, to realise it brings some problems.

The movie format is avi or mkv. As player I have chosen oplayer HD (since avplayerhd is not available). What I do not know yet, and here I hope you could help me, is how I get the movies from my mac to the iPad. It is not working with iTunes, since the format is not supported. So there seem to be two possibilities: either to change the format (is this called 'remux'?) or to use another program to transfer avi/mkv to the iPad.
    Which possibility would you recommend with which app?

Thanks

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Assuming your videos are 720p or 1080p, do NOT use OPlayer HD for MKV playback as it doesn't use hardware acceleration. Use for example It's Playing or BUZZ Player. You'll need to use iTunes File Sharing (and not the traditional Movies synchronization) to transfer the videos to their apps (as well as to OPlayer HD.)

Alternatively, remux your MKV's to M4V's with Subler or MP4Tools. If you don't jailbreak, on the long run, it's the best solution as even the above-mentioned It's Playing / BUZZ Player have certain problems and limitations with MKV playback.

Please see my dedicated articles all around the forum - I'm continuously posting video player and remuxer reviews and tutorials.