.avi on appletv? FrontRow?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by miTunes75, Feb 20, 2009.

1. miTunes75 macrumors 6502

OK....I just realized after having my mac for 2 years (duh, I know!) that front row will indeed read .avi files if placed in the movies folder on the internal drive of the mac.

Can't appletv do the same somehow, although it's not added to iTunes? Aren't FrontRow and appletv software pretty much the same?

i would love to be able to do this if at all possible. I'm not satisfied enough with Boxee and have deleted it from AppleTV....

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not out of the box, but if you use the patchstick method to "hack" your :apple:TV, you can basically do what you want.

B

3. Trip.Tucker Guest

Excellent suggestion.

4. Trip.Tucker Guest

Put a .mov wrapper around the .avi and then sync.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This can't work on an unhacked :apple:TV because it won't know anything about the codec in the AVI unless it happens to be either H.264 or MPEG-4.

The patchstick installs perian and thus a codec pack for the :apple:TV and thus is still necessary.

B

6. emegmac macrumors regular

I do not have an appletv. I use a mac book as a media server hooked to my tv. For all my avi and mkv files I open them up in quicktime wait for the grey bar to go all the way to right( instant for avi takes some time for mkvs) then file/save as a rerence file. This makes a very small .mov file. I drag that to metax, tag all my data to it, then drag that into itunes. Works great and you see all your movies on the same screen. I have no idea if this would work on an appletv. I have perian installed also.