.AVI on iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MrRoyksopp, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRoyksopp macrumors regular

Hello Guys.
    - I was just wondering, if there's any way I watch .AVI files on my iPad 2?

Application name?
    And a quick tutorial on how to transfer the files to the iPad 2 itself.

Can anybody help me with this?

- Thank you!
    MrRoyksopp.

2. patrickj macrumors regular

You can't watch them in .avi format on the iPad 2 (or V1) - they need to be converted first to .mpg or .mov format. Try the great free app called Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) or another of your choice to convert your files. Then just sync them over via iTunes or via a good cloud sync app like Dropbox.

3. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Try EC Player or GoodPlayer. Either app when downloaded to the iPad will play multiple formats without conversion.

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I use VLC player (which IIRC is no longer in the App Store and its a shame as it works beautifully) and also AVPlayerHD which plays about everything I throw at it including 720p .mkv, .avi...
    The iPad2 has the power to play HD files flawlessly and these apps work perfectly...easy to import the files as well...
    IMO AVPlayerHD is a "must-have" if you enjoy watching your own videos on your iPad2...

5. samywamy10 macrumors regular

samywamy10

You could also try streaming it from your computer using 'Air Video'

6. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Yes you can, AVPlayer does the job perfectly.

7. Firen, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

Firen macrumors regular

Firen

I'm using Air Video (work really well, even with on-the-go conversion conversion) and VLC. Sadly this is not an option anymore, but you can use GoodPlayer, heard a lot of good things about it!

As to "how to use": Connect iPad to your computer, go to the apps tab in iTunes (after clicking on the iPad on the left side)... and then you can just drag .avi files in here:

[​IMG]

Has nothing to do with the topic in the slightest. Also you can't put them into your iTunes list unless the files are converted.

8. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

9. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I like to use AirPlayit (switched from Air Video) on my iPad 3 (and iPhone).

This gives me access to all the media on my NAS. If I need to take a movie with me I can trigger a conversion to iOS-friendly format and download locally to device--without having to be connected to my mac or pc.

If jailbroken, I like XBMC. It can read DVDs in ISO format and play them without issue--even on my iPad 1.

Michael

10. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Ah, thanks Michael! Just made the same switch following your post - being able to download as well as stream all from the iPad end is excellent.

11. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Glad you like!

Michael

12. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    I too use vlc. Luckily I had it on my system from a year ago for my iPod touch, but it works great on ipad3. Maybe one day it will make it back to the app store..........

13. danielowenuk macrumors 6502

XBMC, half the time I don't bother transfering just point it at a fileshare.

Other half something like filebrowser to transfer files via WIFI.

*Requires Jailbreak.

14. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Goodplayer plays them unconverted, and extremely well at that.

15. Menneisyys2, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013

Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Just remember not to try to play back Full HD AVI's in GoodPlayer - it's decidedly worse in that than, say, AVPlayerHD, ProPlayer etc. (See my recommended AVI player list above, in a previous post of mine.)

16. thebignewt macrumors regular

I've got a digicam with a dock connection to my iMac. It won't even transfer the videos to iPhoto. It will play old AVI videos that I moved there from CDs. How might I transfer the AVI videos from the camera (dock) to the iMac? I figure taking out the memory card won't make any difference, but would it?

17. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

So, you have a camera that records AVI vieos and can't import them to iPhoto? What's the exact model of your camera? I've tested tons of cameras and know their (possible) incompatibilities pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.