AVI on Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Slinkington, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Slinkington macrumors member

Slinkington

I've recorded some avi video files using fraps on my Windows 7 bootcmap partition. I recently wiped my Mac hard drive and now my fraps videos do not play when brought onto my mac partition.

I used to have them playing just fine, but now I can't seem to find any software or codec that will do it. I just bought Flip4Mac pro, which the apple support page suggests is what I need, but even that doesn't play my AVI files.

Any ideas?

2. Big Dave macrumors 6502

I have had success with the VLC player when viewing .avi files. It's free, so google it.

3. Slinkington thread starter macrumors member

Slinkington

Ah, the files will play properly in VLC player. However, I need to import these videos into a Motion 5 project, and anything other than VLC (iMovie/Motion/Quicktime) isn't understanding them.

4. Chad3eleven macrumors regular

You need to the FRAPs codec that gets installed when you install FRAPs.. which at the moment is PC only.

MPEG streamclip wont work without the codec.

Do you still have the window partition? If so you can probably convert them over there, then bring them over to the Mac side for Motion.

5. bduffy, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

bduffy macrumors newbie

MPlayerX.

By far the smoothest experience I've had with all formats on a Mac. I don't use anything else now.

If you have any codec problems, make sure you install Perian too.

6. ChinkyBob macrumors regular

ChinkyBob

Convert them to MP4 using Handbrake. Its really good and easy to use. I convert everything from copied DVDs to older AVI files etc. Its easy to use and on my mac mini takes 10mins per movie to convert from 1:1 dvd copy to mp4. A direct AVI to MP4 will take less.

7. Unami macrumors 6502a

that's because .avi (like .mov) does not mean a particular codec. it's just the name of the container of the video file (which could be encoded in h.264, mpeg4, prores, fraps, ....)