Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
I have an AVI file that I want to burn as a DVD, however it needs to be compressed first - if I simply load it into Toast it says it requires 5.5 GB and of course my disc has only 4.3 GB (or whatever). So, I need to shrink my AVI file, I assume this will mean re-encoding it.

I know there are tools out there that will do this for actual DVDs (DVDBackup, DVD2OneX etc.) in terms of ripping, compressing, etc., but how can I take an existing AVI, shrink it, then burn it as a DVD?

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
iDVD will do it for you

Further compressing the AVi won't work because Toast converts it into MPEG2 to make a video DVD, and therefore looks at the length of the footage.

If you're not burning it as a DVD video disk (to be played in standalone DVD video players) then Quicktime Pro or iMovie is all you need.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
like 7ON said, the length of the the movie is the most limiting factor; if you are burning it as a video dvd.

If length is not the problem or you are just burning a avi file onto a dvd then I suggest you take a look a ffmpegx. This program will re-encode almost any video file into what ever you like. For you I suggest changing the display size of the movie as well as the bitrate. This will cause the movie to become a smaller file size.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
7on said:
iDVD will do it for you

Further compressing the AVi won't work because Toast converts it into MPEG2 to make a video DVD, and therefore looks at the length of the footage.

If you're not burning it as a DVD video disk (to be played in standalone DVD video players) then Quicktime Pro or iMovie is all you need.

Cool, I didn't know that - so I could just "import" the AVI into iDVD? Didn't know iDVD could handle that, cool... And I didn't know about Toast and the footage length - thanks! :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
TDM21 said:
like 7ON said, the length of the the movie is the most limiting factor; if you are burning it as a video dvd.

If length is not the problem or you are just burning a avi file onto a dvd then I suggest you take a look a ffmpegx. This program will re-encode almost any video file into what ever you like. For you I suggest changing the display size of the movie as well as the bitrate. This will cause the movie to become a smaller file size.

Cool - I played around with ffmpegx a bit, but it looked a little complicated at first. ;) I had thought of using it as well, but was unsure if I could re-enocde an AVI as a smaller AVI, and since ffmpegx had about 4 different formats of AVI to encode to, I was a little hesitant at the time . ;) Looks like a powerful little tool though. :cool:

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
If you can post a bit more info about the .avi it would really help out choosing the best solution.

Some info that would be helpful:

video codec - DV-avi, XviD, DivX etc. (use QT or VLC to determine)
audio codec - mp3, mp4, ac3, PCM etc.
resolution & aspect ratio - 720x480, 4:3, 16:9
frame rate (PAL/NTSC) - 24fps, 25fps, 29.9fps, 23.9fps
length of video - 2hr, 15min (will have an effect on what bitrate to choose)

All this info will help in choosing the best way to compress the file.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
live4ever said:
If you can post a bit more info about the .avi it would really help out choosing the best solution.

Some info that would be helpful:

video codec - DV-avi, XviD, DivX etc. (use QT or VLC to determine)
audio codec - mp3, mp4, ac3, PCM etc.
resolution & aspect ratio - 720x480, 4:3, 16:9
frame rate (PAL/NTSC) - 24fps, 25fps, 29.9fps, 23.9fps
length of video - 2hr, 15min (will have an effect on what bitrate to choose)

All this info will help in choosing the best way to compress the file.

Thanks, here is the info:

Length: 1:49:52
Resolution: 480x352
File Size: 687.9 MB
Video Codec: 3ivx D4 4.5.1 (this is what Toast says)
mp4v (this is what VLC says)
Audio Codec: MPEG Layer-3 Audio (44.1 kHz, 2 channels)
Frame Rate: 29.9 fps 24 bits

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Oh, and I tried importing the AVI into iDVD, but iDVD said it did not recognize the format. Is this due to my older version of iDVD? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.