.avi to iPhone Conversion with Popcorn

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bkarre, Jul 29, 2008.

1. bkarre macrumors newbie

Can someone please help me set up Roxio Popcorn 3 to convert .avi movie files to be played on my iPhone?

I've been trying for a while using their iPhone preset, and then attempted to make some alterations along the way, but none of them work.

First none of them had audio, now they won't sync to my iPhone saying it cannot be played.

Thanks.

2. FJR macrumors regular

pr0n?

3. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

use iSquint
    its free and works great!!!!

4. bkarre thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, no FJR, just car videos and some things I've been collecting over the years that I'd like to have on the road.

For iSquint what settings do you use? Optimize for iPod? do you use H.264 encoding?

If there is a writeup anywhere on how to do this well I would appreciate anything that could be passed on.

5. Sincereh2001 macrumors member

+1

I've been using "optimize for TV" because I watch on computer/tv alot and it still works on ipod. If you optimize for ipod it looks horrible on larger screens. Due to storage restrictions I haven't watched any on iPhone yet.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

7. muskratboy macrumors 6502

MPEG Streamclip rules

Mpeg Streamclip will turn all the major video formats into each other, fairly painlessly. a simple, sweet app... it almost always works. it'll even fix timecode breaks when file segments get out of whack.

but, at least last time i installed it, it had to have an older version of quicktime installed (6.1?) and so it's kinda a pain to downgrade & not be able to update, but maybe they fixed that by now.

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

A combination of Handbrake (free!) and VisualHub (not too expensive) will take care of every ipod video need you have.

9. bkarre thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried MPEG streamclip with limited success, and haven't really used iSquint.

My question was more directed to people who use Popcorn, since I've already bought it and have had good success with it in the past on different projects. Also I trust Roxio products a great deal.

I was wondering if there was a reason why I was getting no audio. Has anyone else encountered this? I kept the default settings for iPhone and still ended up in the same boat.

Thanks for the replies.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's the reason I dropped my Roxio Popcorn, b/c it worked sometimes rather than consistently doing what it is suppose to do. I don't know how many times I finished up a conversion and had no sound. I never recovered from all of those Leopard compatibility issues with Roxio Popcorn. Sorry, I couldn't offer any assistance.

11. bkarre thread starter macrumors newbie

Due to the responses from this thread I've been trying to use MPEG Streamclip and everytime it gets to the very end of the conversion it decides to "quit unexpectedly", although now I'm coming to expect it.

Is this a known issue, or am I the only one?

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

^^^ Are you using MPEG Streamline 1.9.1 for Mac OS X? Also, are you converting to iPhone/iPod? And lastly, are you converting the VIDEO TS file? (The last question may apply to HandBrake, which I use more than MPEG). PM me if you like.