.AVI to windows Drug-induced Pheonmonoa

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cineapple, Feb 2, 2009.

1. cineapple macrumors regular

Ok, I think I have encountered the oddest issue!!

I am using MPEG streamclip to convert a Quicktime file to a .AVI file so that it can be played on a Windows PC system and used in a PC version of PowerPoint.

Once the file is convereted, it looks absolutely fine on my mac, but when I pay it on a PC, or even through Fusion running MS Windows the video is replaced by what seems a music visualizer, it displays psychedelic images, instead of the original video and I can still hear the original audio!!!

And I swear I haven't been smoking anything...yet.

Does anyone know why this is happening?!

I don't have a PC version of PowerPoint, but when my client plays it in their PC through PowerPoint the same thing is happening.

It seems that the Windows is interpeting the .AVI as a music file, and brings up its music visualizer, replacing the video that is in the file. When I select prooperties in windows, though, it says it is a video file. What is happening, and how can I be able to convert this quicktime to an .AVI without this happening? Help!??!!!

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Maybe your brain is releasing extra amounts of Dimethyltryptamine.

It has been known to happen. :cool:

3. cineapple thread starter macrumors regular

Seriously, anybody know what's happening or has encountered this before?
    It's insane!

4. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Could i suggest an MPEG1 codec for use in powerpoint as it is the only codec to work natively in all versions of powerpoint with video.

As for the visualiser, it looks like a case of only converting the sound with no video... hence playing the visuals.

Hope that helps... In summary recode!

5. hazmatzak macrumors regular

More likely, the video is not encoded correctly, leading to wacky images/colors. To verify, load the AVI in a video editor on Windows. (If you don't have one handy, download VirtualDub.) In the editor, you can go frame-by-frame and scrub forward and backward, and you can tell whether the images are generated or part of the AVI.

The simplest fix is then to encode using another codec. Which one did you use? Unfortunately, you'd have to choose a codec that the client has installed that you can export from on the Mac. And Windows PowerPoint may have its own restrictions.

6. cineapple thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the feedback...

I researched some more through windows Media Player FAQs,and it says that it plays a visualizer if the video codec is not installed in Windows Media Player. It says to download various plug-ins from http://www.wmplugins.com/

If this is something that has to played on many different PCs, and will be passed along, what codec should I use? And what would give me the best resolution? It is an animation for powerpoint, and when I was using mpeg-1, it was way too blocky.