.AVI?! What?! Why?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Slayerboym88, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Slayerboym88 macrumors regular

Sorry, I know that this is already a guide, but that was not very helpful to me.
    How in dear Jesus' name do I get .avi videos to play on my beautiful new blackbook? I tried installing that Flip4Mac program, but when i click on the player, all it does is zoom out towards me, then does nothing. Is it installing in the background or something?! Please help me out folks!
    (As you can well figure out, I am a new Mac owner, so if you can give the directions on an elementary level, or a Windows translated version, that would be good!)
    Thanks

2. scr1968 macrumors regular

The Flip4Mac application will definitely allow you to view AVI files on your Mac - using the Quicktime Player.

What do you mean by "zoom out toward me?"

So...you can't even install the Flip4Mac application?

SCR

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You must drag the Flip4Mac program to the Applications Folder from the dmg image. You should also install VLC, as it will play nearly all types.

TEG

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Download and use VLC - it plays pretty much everything, even DVDs.

6. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I also like perian, it helped me play some avi files.

ChrisN

7. Slayerboym88 thread starter macrumors regular

okay don't know what was wrong earlier but it's all good now. Im actually using (i think) just the divx player and it works fine.

Second question: what would you all suggest for converting .avi into an iPod friendly format? All my old converters were all Windows based so I'm up a creek here. Thanks for all your help.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

iSquint was suggested in the thread I linked. I hope that you did read it.

9. Slayerboym88 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I just read it. But the website that you linked in the other post was also talking about that other converter tool which sparked my curiosity of what you all suggest. I've learned to accept that not everyone thinks of only one idea and that sometimes frustrated people don't find use of the search function for people who's situations are not the same as their own. Remember, its just a website!

I think I'm going to try and re'dl perian later when I get home later. Although I must admit, I am loving the whole DivX play in the desktop feature.

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Good grief, just get Perian already. It lets you open nearly everything natively in QuickTime, which means you can use QT to convert as well.

11. Slayerboym88 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah but I dont really feel like paying $30 when other functions have it for free.

Edit: I did dl perian though, it is awesome! I was thinking that it was something that I had to actively run, not something that ran in the background. That clears up all of my former questions, aside from what FREE converter is everyone's favorite!

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can convert files to the iPod/iPhone format using iTunes once you have the right plug-ins. There's a nice little convert option if you secondary click on the file in iTunes.

Quicktime is painfully slow at encoding though. I just use VisualHub.

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

14. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

No. That's not how we do it around here! Post FIRST, search LATER. LOL