.avi will not play with any decoder...

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
I have a bunch of files from a security camera. They are all in .avi but I cannot find a decoder/player that will play the file. When I try to open it in VLC, here is there error:

main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `GEOV'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

So, I need a GEOV decoder?? It plays fine on a WMP for Windows, but no luck on Mac OSX, any ideas??? I have no idea at all and thought I searched everywhere.

BTW:
I am using an INTEL Mac, so a UB decoder would be needed, or definitely preferred, thanks in advance!

Yuvi

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
Could you send a small sample to me? It seems from googling they should be simple MPEG4-ASP, which would be relatively easy to add support for in various media players, but I'd like to check to make sure.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Absolutely I can. I'm heading off to school now, but check your private messages a little later. I'll get in contact with you after I'm home from school. Thanks soo much!

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
It's a proprietary codec for Geovision security systems which is PC-based, so it's Windows only.

Given it's specialized, non-commercial use it's unlikely you will see ports of this one to other platforms.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
VLC will always tell you what to google for.

And as is said above, "GEOV" is a proprietary codec. rarely seen.

What is Digital CCTV?

Digital CCTV, or Digital Closed Circuit Television, is the technology used in modern surveillance systems. Traditional, VCR, CCTV pictures are sent via cctv cameras to a closed area, e.g. a CCTV Monitor, this type of CCTV is likely to produce lower resolution images and have to be displayed via cabling in the workplace. Modern Digital CCTV Systems can be operated remotely via a pc or mobile phone, can monitor various locations and can be monitored from wherever there is internet or GPRS Access.

How to install GeoVision CCTV MPEG4 Codec :

- Uncompress the files from "GeoCodec.zip" archive, right-click on the "GEOX.inf" file and select Install.
- You may encounter a prompt saying: "The software you are installing for this hardware... has not passed Windows Logo testing..."; click on the Continue Anyway button.
-If you are unable to install the codec, using the method specified above, please read this small guide: How to install/uninstall DLL and AX codec files from Guides section.
youll need a windows (or since you got an intelmac, your own machine) to edit these.

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
Has anyone had any new luck with this codec? I'm still trying hard to get a codec or Internet Explorer with Crossover to do this for me.

mgmktx

macrumors member
May 15, 2006
Has anyone had any new luck with this codec? I'm still trying hard to get a codec or Internet Explorer with Crossover to do this for me.
Sorry but I think you may have to play the videos in Windows. I had the same problem when I wanted to edit videos captured in Fraps (FPS1 codec)