Aviation software for iMac

sultanoflondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Hi all,

I am a keen aviator and I was wondering whether there were any good aviation games for Mac, for example Air Traffic Control simulator or any good flight simulation software, not X-Plane, not animated or anything like that.

It can be free or paid, on the Mac App Store, or anything else.

Thanks in advance.

Alfinator

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
Linköping - Sweden
Hi all,

I am a keen aviator and I was wondering whether there were any good aviation games for Mac, for example Air Traffic Control simulator or any good flight simulation software, not X-Plane, not animated or anything like that.

Thanks in advance.

You have the X-Plane 10 as you mentioned above, which you will have to pay for. But I really enjoyed playing another Flight Sim called "FlightGear".

You should really check it out, not the top-notch graphics but they're still fine and it's really fun!:)

sultanoflondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Hi Alfinator

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Wow! That's brilliant! An open-source flight sim for Mac?! That's awesome, thanks so much Sir!

I shall certainly try it out and post here about it!

Thanks once again!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
FlightGear is super. Open source and permanently free, with worldwide maps and all sorts of planes. Beware, the torrent files for the entire complete package is massive. It's around 20-30GB.

There's also online multiplayer. Your call sign can be anything, but most people use tail codes such as G-BNLL or the infamous 9M-MRA. More creative ones use something like D-AFUQ (German registration) or a profanity hidden in the registration.

costabunny

macrumors demi-goddess
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I too am gonna have a look at this. I tried world of warplanes,but i really wanted something I can play solo as well as online.

Should run nice on the new iMac when it arrives.

sultanoflondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Hi all,

Flightgear was not very good, as it slowed down my iMac and completely terminated the internet connection.

I'm not sure as to whether it was the program, or whether a virus got in when I was downloading FlightGear, but when I removed FlightGear, did a TimeMachine rollback to before the program was downloaded, everything was fine again?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi all,

Flightgear was not very good, as it slowed down my iMac and completely terminated the internet connection.

I'm not sure as to whether it was the program, or whether a virus got in when I was downloading FlightGear, but when I removed FlightGear, did a TimeMachine rollback to before the program was downloaded, everything was fine again?
It didn't slow down mine. Mine's butter smooth.

If it helps, I run it on an early-2011 MBP (2.3GHz quad i7, 16GB RAM, 1GB 6750M and 512GB SSD) and also a 27" iMac (3.5GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD and 4GB GTX780M).

sultanoflondon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
It didn't slow down mine. Mine's butter smooth.

If it helps, I run it on an early-2011 MBP (2.3GHz quad i7, 16GB RAM, 1GB 6750M and 512GB SSD) and also a 27" iMac (3.5GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD and 4GB GTX780M).

Well, it didn't work on mine and I'm weary to try again, in case it damages the computer irreversibly.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi all,

I'm not sure as to whether it was the program, or whether a virus got in when I was downloading FlightGear,
There are no OS X viruses in the wild. Did you download it from a reputable site?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.