Avid MediaComposer 3.5 won't install on a PowerMac!?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TTLaRue, Sep 25, 2009.

1. TTLaRue macrumors newbie

TTLaRue

If anyone could help-

I was running Avid Xpress Pro on a Power Mac G5 Dual 2.3GHz on 10.4.11. Although, having been burned by Avid OS upgrades before, I idiotically purchased AMC version 3.5. I was prompted that I had to upgrade to Leopard (surprise) and more specifically, 10.5.5 or greater. I obliged. After upgrading to OS 10.5.8 and attempting to install AMC for the 3rd time, I was met with another kind dialog box indicating "INTEL REQUIRED. This software requires Intel hardware".

Will AMC 3.5 NOT work on my Power Mac?

2. TTLaRue thread starter macrumors newbie

TTLaRue

I shouldn't have been a cowboy...

Clear as day, right on the Avid Platform Support page:
    Mac OS X 10.5.5 (Leopard) on Intel chipsets

Isn't there a way around this?! BLAAAAAAAH!

3. TTLaRue thread starter macrumors newbie

TTLaRue

Besides being, SOL, is it realistic to switch out processors in my Power Mac? I've found decent chips for about $350. I know its a laborious process, but is it worth it?

4. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

I don't think you can. If i remember correctly the structure of those systems are made to run with the old mortorola processors. I don't think the intels can handle it all properly. I would look into buying an intel mac.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

short answer no. Just get a new mac pro/imac depending on your needs.
    PS - why do you like avid. IMO i loath it, that stupid red arrow drives me nuts! :p

6. TTLaRue thread starter macrumors newbie

TTLaRue

Thanks for your help, guys. Blast!

Puck- I like Avid for many reasons. We could go back and forth, and hope this doesn't start a war, but here's a few reasons:

A) Avid pays my bills. (I'm a freelance Television editor)
    B) Avid's proven to be a workhorse, I just got off a job with 15 other editors, all working off the same Unity. We cut on Adrenaline's and a couple of Nitris DX machines. Ran great on our Mac Pro 8 Cores w/ 6GB RAM (I think we had the 4GB memory modules that allow 6GB of memory-if I can recall?). Virtually NO crashes. Although not graphic heavy, it was an audio-intense show. We were using 16+ tracks of audio.
    C) I love the OMF/MFX file format. I dislike the "wonkiness" of QT as a media file that FCP uses.
    D) I love my SEGMENT BUTTON! lol

But in the end, picture is picture, audio is audio, cutting is cutting. One of my favorite editors, Walter Murch, is a HUGE proponent of FCP. Whether or not this is because they pay him, is another topic altogether.

7. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

When it comes to work flow Avid simply can't be touched. In my opinion Autodesk Smoke is the best NLE on the marketing if it was 100 grand cheaper. If your a single editor in environment like movies, than FCp works great and thats why Walter likes it so much. But Avid is awesome with work flow. If you want to use FCP with multiple Editors, then Edit share is the way to go.

8. TTLaRue thread starter macrumors newbie

TTLaRue

Haha! Good call on Smoke. Its not even in my vernacular. I agree with all that you said on FCP. However, am still really disappointed with Avid's choice to ONLY manufacture 3.5 for Intel based chips.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Technology marches on my friend. For a couple years now intel-only apps have been popping up and eventually the legacy ties to the PPC boat anchor must be cut.

Lethal