Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frozi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
I was in the market for an Avid certified computer. It brought be to macs. I plan on purchasing the new macbook pro retina (upgrade the ram) to run Avid on it. Currently it says it is certified with Lion. Should I upgrade to mountain lion, or keep running lion till avid changes their certification?

frozi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Neither the retina MBP nor Mountain Lion is certified with Avid so I wouldn't plan on using either until they are.

Lethal

oooh, that hurts. I have been waiting since Feb to get this new macbook pro solely for Avid. I figure it does meet all the required specs, including having better guts than the current certified macbook pro on their website. I just figure with the graphic card going back to nivida, and 16 gb of ram id be good. Maybe I should wait like you suggested..

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
oooh, that hurts. I have been waiting since Feb to get this new macbook pro solely for Avid. I figure it does meet all the required specs, including having better guts than the current certified macbook pro on their website. I just figure with the graphic card going back to nivida, and 16 gb of ram id be good. Maybe I should wait like you suggested..

That would be your best bet. Retina MBP at top spec isn't cheap. It would be a shame if they didn't support it and you spent all that money...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm sure it will get approved eventually, but you never know if there is a driver issue or something like that that has to be resolved. Also, I've heard some people say that apps that have not been made 'retina friendly' look like crap when scaled up so even if Avid runs okay right now on the hardware it might look horrible on the screen until a retina update is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.