Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
I used to love this app, but abandoned it a couple monts ago for USA Today which is much better.

earful

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
i deleted and then reinstalled. works fine. not sure i like it better, but it's a bit more customizable.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
News Fuse

I used to love this app, but abandoned it a couple monts ago for USA Today which is much better.

Take a look at News Fuse. No Banners, No Ad's and a FULL screen for reading.
I dumped them all for this one. I was shocked to see how this one turned out.
This is what all News Apps should be.
I'm so sick of Ads, the door to door salesman died years ago for good reason.

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
News fuse is good but not quite the same as the AP news one. It's a little buggy atm but let's see how it goes in 3.0 with the push notifications. Apple's testing this app out first among all 3rd-party ones for some reason.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Sorry if this has been posted already. Avoid updating to the 2.0 version. It will crash, or lock up.

I've tried it and boy its a real mess. AP screwed up an already excellent app big time.

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/05/27/stop-the-presses-ap-news-for-iphone-is-a-mess/

I couldn't install it through iPhone update.
They said to delete it off my iPhone and install new version through iTunes.
You will get a pop up saying you already have this App and if you want to install again. Say YES.
I did this and the App works fine!
It's totally customizable and is a lot snappier.
I LOVE IT!
It's my fav, most used app. :)
You can now set diff cities in the weather and that cities news will come up under "Local News" as well as the weather of course. That's fabulous!
It now works in landscape mode too.
But yes, there are stinkin' ads. :(

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I couldn't install it through iPhone update.
They said to delete it off my iPhone and install new version through iTunes.
You will get a pop up saying you already have this App and if you want to install again. Say YES.
I did this and the App works fine!
It's totally customizable and is a lot snappier.
I LOVE IT!
It's my fav, most used app. :)
You can now set diff cities in the weather and that cities news will come up under "Local News" as well as the weather of course. That's fabulous!
It now works in landscape mode too.
But yes, there are stinkin' ads. :(

Yep that seems to work. Doesn't crash or lock up when launched. I hope AP updates it to fix the update problem. Or at least update the copy in iTunes to warn users and provide this information.

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
I downloaded the first version, and it sucked, so I downloaded the NY Times and USA Today, both of which are way better.

iPodGator

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
AP News after update kept locking up on me too. I deleted it, re-installed, and now it works okay.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
An update to AP News showed up on the App Store today.

Yeah saw it on my iPhone App notice. I tried it and it doesn't hang after installation. So it seems that AP fixed it, and fixed it fast. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.